Whistler Update on TRX100 & 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

beischel

First, I appreciate Wendy updating us that they have stopped development on the TRX100/200. Now those who were waiting can go out and purchase the Uniden SDR scanners (SDS100 & 200) instead of continuing to wait for the Whistler SDR products. I will be calling Scanner Master this week.

However, I am very puzzled by her statement that they are still dedicated to the scanner industry. If you cannot produce a scanner that can work properly and effectively with simulcast p25 systems, how dedicated can you be? That is the major issue for scanner listeners. Any scanner can pick up the rest of the stuff.

I wonder if they will show up at the Dayton Hamvention this year to explain this "dedication" that Wendy referenced.

ab5r

I wonder what an "Optimal" or "Robust" scanner would be like? What additional features could be added and stay cost effective? For the average scanner hobbyist, what is the cost limits? With the decline is OPEN agencies, what does the future hold? f course, nobody knows.

These manufactures are in competition to earn profits, not satisfy our yearnings. That's business! All this "Dedication" talk is BS and sales pitch.

I just hope that my 3 month old TRX2 is not a WHITE ELEPHANT now.

Chronic

"I just hope that my 3 month old TRX2 is not a WHITE ELEPHANT now."

It seems it already is , there are issues that are being ignored and no sign of them ever getting fixed. The Long squelch tail for 1 .

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
"I just hope that my 3 month old TRX2 is not a WHITE ELEPHANT now."

It seems it already is , there are issues that are being ignored and no sign of them ever getting fixed. The Long squelch tail for 1 .

The long squelch tail seems to be inherent in most (all?) GRE-based scanners.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
These manufactures are in competition to earn profits, not satisfy our yearnings. That's business! All this "Dedication" talk is BS and sales pitch.

I respectfully disagree that manufacturers aren't in business to satisfy the customer. Unsatisfied customers lead to bad word-of-mouth, which discourages potential customers from buying the manufacturer's products and therefore negatively impacts the bottom line; given that, it is in the manufacturer's best interest to make sure customers are satisfied. Unsatisfied customers are typically not repeat customers, either. Yeah, there may be some sales pitch involved, but satisfied customers = more profits and a better public image in the long run.

Stated another way: if Uniden's only concern was profits, would the company be going to the lengths it has regarding SDS100 and 200 issue resolution? Would Paul and UnidenSupport even be on here, answering questions and offering help?

I will readily agree that some companies make a conscious, short-sighted decision to put profits ahead of keeping the customer happy, but companies that make such a decision are putting their own futures at risk. Those decisions are often made by people who don't see the big picture and who's #1 concern is the quarterly P&L statement. In the long run, such decisions will cost them.

Last edited:

ab5r

Don't get me wrong, please. I have the utmost respect and regard for Paul and Uniden! They have earned it, in my opinion.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
However, I am very puzzled by her statement that they are still dedicated to the scanner industry. If you cannot produce a scanner that can work properly and effectively with simulcast p25 systems, how dedicated can you be? That is the major issue for scanner listeners. Any scanner can pick up the rest of the stuff.

I wonder if they will show up at the Dayton Hamvention this year to explain this "dedication" that Wendy referenced.

The way I took her comments was that whatever platform, hardware, etc. they were developing must’ve hit a wall and they decided that maybe it was better to start from scratch with a totally different project rather than limp along and bandaid what they had, so the end product wouldn’t fall short and be lackluster, etc. Because guess who will be the first ones to start moaning and complaining? Likely the ones that are already complaining because they scrapped the models in development. I would hate to be in Whistler’s shoes, can’t win. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t...

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
The way I took her comments was that whatever platform, hardware, etc. they were developing must’ve hit a wall and they decided that maybe it was better to start from scratch with a totally different project rather than limp along and bandaid what they had, so the end product wouldn’t fall short and be lackluster, etc.

I wonder if they were attempting to adapt the TRX 1/2 platforms to handle simulcasting and found out that it just wouldn't do it without a major redesign. We'll never know for sure.

I agree with you; I'd rather have a good product that works as opposed to something that's all band-aided together and doesn't do anything well.

scannersnstuff

I think maybe when Uniden released the SDS200, Whistler realized that what they had in the pipeline wasn't going to compete well with the new SDS200. Hopefully they are working on a better more robust scanner. We'll just have to wait and see.

Here's the thing. Uniden already "set the bar" as far as dealing with lsm. If A new Whistler can't handle lsm,at least as well as a Uniden, what good is more robost going to be ?. Like I said before, what more can you do to a new scanner ?. Whistler kind of shot themselves in the foot with their premature announcement. I don't see anything good coming out of this. I was looking forward to seeing what they had to offer.

I'm still not overly happy that the jury is still out on the vhf/uhf performance of the sds100.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Here's the thing. Uniden already "set the bar" as far as dealing with lsm. If A new Whistler can't handle lsm,at least as well as a Uniden, what good is more robost going to be ?. Like I said before, what more can you do to a new scanner ?. Whistler kind of shot themselves in the foot with their premature announcement. I don't see anything good coming out of this. I was looking forward to seeing what they had to offer.

I'm still not overly happy that the jury is still out on the vhf/uhf performance of the sds100.

Agree on all counts except the last part. I think the jury is pretty much in, and I think that most would agree (including Uniden) that the SDS scanners are first and foremost built around handling LSM. Uniden has stated that the 436 / 536 are better for those not needing the best possible LSM performance. The analog capabilities of the SDS scanners is welcome, but not on the same level as a really good non-SDR scanner. Too much intermod, excessive white noise on analog transmissions, near-frequency bleed-over, etc. Filters and attenuation can help in some cases but not all. I happily use the SDS200 with an outdoor antenna on most / stronger analog stuff, but there are problem spots with some weak signal stuff where I permanently avoid things to stay away from the previously mentioned issues. I find that the ideal setup is my SDS200 matched with my BCT15X. They are the perfect compliments to each other, and the BCT15X can be had for under $150.

comspec

Obviously I am disappointed in Whistler, for over-promising and under-delivering. That is never a good marketing strategy. Not that I am going to run out and buy an SDS100, as my 436 is good enough for my needs for now, but I was interested in seeing what Whister was going to offer. Apparently all they have to offer at this time are empty promises.

Over the years I have owned several GRE scanners and 2 Uniden scanners. There were things I liked about both and things I was disappointed with in both. Notice I said GRE and not Whister. I haven't bought a scanner from Whister since they bought GRE. I don;t necessarily think Whister killed GRE. When Whistler bought the IP from GRE, Radio Shack was still a thing. Without Radio Shack as a major outlet for GRE/Whistler scanners I think Whistler lost what they thought was going to be a lucrative channel for their products.

But if Whistler ceases to exist, then I don't think we will be seeing a whole lot of innovation from Uniden. Not sure we are seeing a whole lot of innovation now. Really just small improvements with large price increases.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
But if Whistler ceases to exist, then I don't think we will be seeing a whole lot of innovation from Uniden. Not sure we are seeing a whole lot of innovation now. Really just small improvements with large price increases.

IMHO, Uniden's development of a receiver that could handle LSM was a major innovation that required a lot of work and financial investment.

I personally believe that as long as Paul Opitz is around, Uniden will continue to do what it can to improve, expand, and support its scanner products. His personal interest in scanners is obvious to me, and the energy he puts into product development (even in the face of serious personal health challenges) is really impressive! The fact that Uniden continues to support and even expand the capabilities of its older scanners (e.g. NXDN for the BCD325P2) is reassuring.

Of course, the bottom line for Uniden management planning has to rest on the profitability of its scanner products. As long as they make a profit, I think we'll continue to see them invest in that product line, and innovation at some level will follow.

My two cents . . .

-Johnnie

scannersnstuff

IMHO, Uniden's development of a receiver that could handle LSM was a major innovation that required a lot of work and financial investment.

I personally believe that as long as Paul Opitz is around, Uniden will continue to do what it can to improve, expand, and support its scanner products. His personal interest in scanners is obvious to me, and the energy he puts into product development (even in the face of serious personal health challenges) is really impressive! The fact that Uniden continues to support and even expand the capabilities of its older scanners (e.g. NXDN for the BCD325P2) is reassuring.

Of course, the bottom line for Uniden management planning has to rest on the profitability of its scanner products. As long as they make a profit, I think we'll continue to see them invest in that product line, and innovation at some level will follow.

My two cents . . .

-Johnnie

Yes,yes, but that other thing is killing public safety monitoring.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Yes,yes, but that other thing is killing public safety monitoring.
It's a slow but sure death from that angle...but on a national scale, that is a long gradual process. Many many places still have plenty to monitor, and many agencies run at least dispatch TG's in the clear, and in a busy department where crazy stuff happens, there is still plenty to hear. Phoenix PD takes this approach.

Then there are departments like my home PD Glendale that take an even kinder approach, keeping "most" stuff in the clear including most hot calls, and only using tactical TG's when truly warranted / needed.

I know that more departments are moving into full encryption when they upgrade, but there will be public safety to monitor for quite a while on a national scale. I think we have another generation or two of scanners to come (fingers crossed).

Also it's not just the big "E". Here in Phoenix, the official reason why hot channels went encrypted is the media. They kept beating tac teams to scenes. The final straw was when they showed up to a hostage situation before SWAT was able move into position. This is per Phoenix PD. Our media contains some real winners as I'm sure most have noticed. Let's not let them off the hook.

radio3353

and innovation at some level will follow.

My two cents . . .

-Johnnie

I am very curious about what 'inovation' you are suggesting. What does a consumer scanner need today that it does not already have? Uniden has almost licked LSM, they cover all (legal) bands and modulation formats, there is more than enough channel capacity to program, PC interface, etc. What's left? Just cosmetic changes? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.