Whistler WS 1080 popping sound on reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

minasha

Does anyone know why the GRE/Radio shack/Whistler ws1080 type scanners make this low pop sound when they try to receive a transmission.
It happens a lot with LSM systems but also on regular p25 systems and even analog systems. Is there anything to fix or lessen this annoying characteristic.

Swipesy

Sounds like your issue is specific to your radio or the system you are monitoring. I monitor 6 different P25 systems with my GRE PSR-800 and there are no popping sounds.

NC91

I have the same issue and have 2 PSR-800 scanners listening to the same system. It's a P25 LSM system and one does it and the other doesn't at all. It's got to be something with the scanner. Both have 2.0 CPU Firmware and 1.3 DSP Firmware. Both are programmed exactly the same with the library file and the EZ-Scan file.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I would say reinstall firmware but that may not be possible with the stock Grecom firmware, so send it in to whistler for the legacy upgrade and that will make your scanner a WS1080 able to do all future updates and the ability to use the still update EZSCAN for the WS1080

NC91

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to reload both the CPU and DSP firmware and neither changed anything. I don't want to pay for them to upgrade it because I don't need those features. Hopefully there is another option for me to try.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to reload both the CPU and DSP firmware and neither changed anything. I don't want to pay for them to upgrade it because I don't need those features. Hopefully there is another option for me to try.
You do realize there are several dozen fixes in the firmware updates that your scanner is behind?

NC91

Thanks again. I am certain that there are additional fixes but that's a moot point at this time. I have a second PSR-800 that's been programmed the same way listening to the same system that doesn't do it. They both track the system and receive it fine. I don't need to purchase anything, I just am trying to figure out why both don't behave the same way.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again. I am certain that there are additional fixes but that's a moot point at this time. I have a second PSR-800 that's been programmed the same way listening to the same system that doesn't do it. They both track the system and receive it fine. I don't need to purchase anything, I just am trying to figure out why both don't behave the same way.
When using ear phone or buds is the pop still present? if not then it is a speaker problem.

NC91

Thanks for that suggestion. I hadn't tried that. I just plugged in earphones and it still does it. Best way I can describe it is like a puff of air or a low end pop before and after every transmission. All systems as well. Not just the specific one in my area.

cmdrwill

Sounds like the DC balance on the audio output IC is bad, a common problem on some radios and scanners. You can see the DC voltage 'pop' with a volt meter. Some radios and scanners turn off the audio amp when there is no signal, and they will 'pop' when a signal comes in, and out. A isolation transformer in the speaker line may get rid of or diminish the 'pop'.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If there is an audio output capacitor between the amp and the speaker, check if the capacitor is shorted. A shorted coupling capacitor on the input of the amp can also cause the problem. I have run into this problem with broadcast equipment.

NC91

Thanks to you all. I am not at home right now but will take it apart when I get home and see if I can test that out. It's not at all keeping me from using it but it's annoying :)

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
My psr800 does the same thing with any digital signal, haven’t noticed it on analog, yet. I assumed it was the audio amp switching on/off? Sent in for the legacy upgrade which was completed yesterday. Hope to have it back next week and will listen for the pop.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
PSR800 came back today as a WS1080, works great as expected but still has the popping sound in the speaker when a transmission begins and ends. So far I have only heard it on P25. Not noticeable enough to be a problem but I can hear it, even with my aged ears.

cmdrwill

Without the road map it is hard to tell if the audio output IC has the DC power switched on and off. That WILL defiantly cause a pop in the woofer...

Status
Not open for further replies.