Whistler WS1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jphonda9

Premium Subscriber
Just got a new Whistler WS1040 and am having trouble getting my local PD to scan. (Midlothian, TX in Ellis County) Can anyone Assist. I'm ignorant when it comes to this. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just got a new Whistler WS1040 and am having trouble getting my local PD to scan. (Midlothian, TX in Ellis County) Can anyone Assist. I'm ignorant when it comes to this. Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Midlothian, as well as Red Oak, are now on the FWRRS. Have you programmed that system, and the talkgroups for Midlothian?

If you are using software, which program? Is Midlothian the only one giving you an issue? Have you got the other Ellis County agencies loaded & scanning?

Jphonda9

Premium Subscriber
Midlothian, as well as Red Oak, are now on the FWRRS. Have you programmed that system, and the talkgroups for Midlothian?

If you are using software, which program? Is Midlothian the only one giving you an issue? Have you got the other Ellis County agencies loaded & scanning?
Hey Steve, Thanks for the reply.
I had my scanner cloned from a friend. It came with several cities, but not any in Ellis county where I live. I'm not sure which software to use.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey Steve, Thanks for the reply.
I had my scanner cloned from a friend. It came with several cities, but not any in Ellis county where I live. I'm not sure which software to use.
There are three programs that can be used to program your WS1040. If you got the scanner new, then you should also have the programming cable (should have been in the box). You'll need that to use software. Since you show to be a Premium Subscriber, you can use software to download frequencies and system information from the database here on RadioReference.

The three programs are Win500, PSREdit500, and ARC500. More details can be found here.
All three allow you to download and use the program for 30 days. After that point, you'll need to either purchase a license for the one you like best, or the program(s) will cease to work. My preferences, in order, are Win500, PSREdit500 a close 2nd, and ARC500. Other members here may have a different preference. While I like Wn500, there have been problems noted for purchasers of the software, who never received they key, and could not get a response from the author. Most all of those had to seek refunds from PayPal, or their credit card company. Of late, I have seen notes as to members who purchased Win500 through it's website, and did get their key in a timely manner. No similar issues for either PSREdit500 or ARC500.

As to the friend's PC used to clone your scanner, do you have any Ellis County frequencies at all, just missing Midlothian? or none of the others either, such as Ellis County SO and Waxahachie?

If you can verify what you have, and what else you want, and then pick either Win500 or PSREdit500 for software, I can create a file for you to load. Depending on exactly where in Midlothian you are, you likely could get other agencies, such as Johnson County (which is also on FWRRS), Mansfield (FWRRS), as well as Hill County. Probably some of the Dallas County agencies as well.

Jphonda9

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what I have now. I can tell you that I have 20 channels that include Mansfield, Hill county, Bell County, Johnson County, DPS, Etc. But I have no Ellis county.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what I have now. I can tell you that I have 20 channels that include Mansfield, Hill county, Bell County, Johnson County, DPS, Etc. But I have no Ellis county.
Are you hearing Johnson County & Mansfield? If so, they are on the FWRRS system, where Midlothian & Red Oak are now. You would need to add site frequencies & talkgroups.

Download one of the software packages I mentioned earlier, preferably Win500 or PSREdit500. Then, connect your scanner to your PC, using the cable that came with the scanner.
Use the software to read the scanner into the software. Then, save that as a file and attach it to a post, to get a better idea of what you have and what needs to be added.

In order to attach a file to a post, you'll have to modify the file slightly, as the original format is not a valid file type for posting. Win500 uses file type *.P500 files, PSREdit500 *.bin, and ARC500 *.gr5.

What you’ll need to do is one of these two ways (*.xxx represents the file format of whichever program you are using.):

Compress your file into a *.zip file, which can be attached. This can be done with a file utility such as WinZip, or the free 7Zip. If your original file was named “MyFile.xxx”, the compressed file would be “MyFile.zip”.

The other method is to rename your file, using Windows Explorer. Again, for illustration, if your original file was named “MyFile.xxx”, find the file on your PC and rename it. <Right><Click> on the file and select ‘Rename’ from the pop-up menu. Rename your file to either “MyFile.txt” or “MyFile.xxx.txt”.

The zipped or renamed file can now be attached to a post. Whoever is going to take a look, to see anything missing or incorrect, can then download the file from your post, rename or unzip it, and open with PSREdit500 to view.

Jphonda9

Premium Subscriber
I am very ignorant when it comes to this sort of thing. Is there anywhere close to the DFW metroplex that I could take mine to and have it set up?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am very ignorant when it comes to this sort of thing. Is there anywhere close to the DFW metroplex that I could take mine to and have it set up?
I don't know of a specific business that programs scanners in the DFW Metro area.

Probably, your best bet is to have your thread moved to the Texas forum, where someone in the area near you (I know there is at least one in Venus, & several others in Ellis or Johnson Counties) might be able to meet you somewhere and get your programming fixed. Another place to ask would be on the DFWScan Yahoo group, but I suspect you'd have more luck here on RadioReference. HRO, in Plano, does sell scanners, but I don't know if they have any provision to handle programming requests. Worst come to worst, you could send your scanner to Scanner Master, and they will program it for a fee, but counting programming and freight, that's likely to be over $100 at a minimum.

If you take your time, and get comfortable with the software, such as Win500, PSEREdit500, or ARC500, there's any number of people, including myself, that could create a file for what you want to listen to.
Start with this Wiki page, which shows all the software that can program your WS1040 (that scanner is programmed exactly like a number of other models, such as the original, PSR-500, RadioShack Pro-106 or Pro-651, and your Whistler WS1040. The base/mobile version of these scanner, such as the WS1065, and all the previous models, also program the same exact way.
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Object_Oriented_Scanner_Software

On that page, you'll find information on the software. ARC500 has a user guide that's hosted in the Wiki here on RadioReference. There is a link to a guide for Win500 as well on a different site/ PSREdit500 has a built in help system, but no separate user guide that I am aware of. All three of these software packages have a 30 day free trial period.

There is an "Easier to Read" manual online for your scanner as well:
Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.