Whistler ws1065

Status
Not open for further replies.

superpriesty

Reception of my local is very spotty I get better reception of the town that is almost 40 miles away? Does it matter that my scanner antenna is on the same mast as my tv antenna? I have a 102” whip antenna for my scanner and my local FD is not further than 1 mile away!

N8IAA

Reception of my local is very spotty I get better reception of the town that is almost 40 miles away? Does it matter that my scanner antenna is on the same mast as my tv antenna? I have a 102” whip antenna for my scanner and my local FD is not further than 1 mile away!

Could be that the 102" antenna is intended for CB. Most everything in the RR database for your county is 450 MHz. Some 150 MHz. Even some TGID's on the statewide system. Probably should have been asked in the WI state forum.
Might want to click on the Report in the lower left corner of your post and ask an admin to move it to the state forum.

HTH,
Larry

fritz73

Premium Subscriber
superpriesty, I'm in Walworth not too far from you. First off, a 102" whip is really meant for CB use. Have you tried just using the telescopic antenna that came with the scanner? That's all I use. I don't have an outside antenna at all for my scanners and I have no trouble at all with the local stuff. I take it you're trying to pick up Williams Bay FD? Honestly that is one that I don't have programmed into my scanner, but looking at the database fire dispatch is on 453.700, others listed are 453.100, 453.800, and 458.100

superpriesty

Yes it’s 102” , I read somewhere that since it’s pretty much a 1/4 wave it’ll work fine as a broadband receiving antenna! I haven’t being able to pick up anything local with the telescopic antenna so far, will a discone work better for outside instead of the whip ?

fritz73

Premium Subscriber
Sure, a discone would be ideal for scanner reception, but I really don't understand why the antenna on the scanner itself is not working for you for picking up your local (Williams Bay)FD. I'm going to put it in mine and see if I get anything, because I really think it possibly might be more of a incorrect programming or setting issue for you as opposed to needing a better antenna.

GTO_04

Have they moved to WISCOM? Is Walworth County now dispatching for them? At that close of a distance the antenna should not be much of an issue IMHO. The telescoping antenna should work just fine.

GTO_04

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
superpriesty - You are using the incorrect Antenna for the job, a Longer Antenna wont help , unless you are Trying to Monitor VHF Air band, or Something Lower. for Proper VHF/UHF Public Safety try a High Gain HAM Mobile antenna, a good one is the RS Telescoping HAM antenna that is Center loaded , so that no Ground Plane is needed, but you still need to Lighning Arrest and Properly Ground the antenna.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Yes it’s 102” , I read somewhere that since it’s pretty much a 1/4 wave it’ll work fine as a broadband receiving antenna! I haven’t being able to pick up anything local with the telescopic antenna so far, will a discone work better for outside instead of the whip ?
1/4 wave for CB. That does not mean it is good for broadband receive.

234 / 27.5 = 8.5 feet
8.5 x 12 = 102 inches

If the signals you are trying to monitor are around 154 MHz, then the 1/4 wavelength is 18 inches.

If 450 MHz is the target, then 6 inches is (roughly) 1/4 wavelength.

Sent using Tapatalk

superpriesty

Sure, a discone would be ideal for scanner reception, but I really don't understand why the antenna on the scanner itself is not working for you for picking up your local (Williams Bay)FD. I'm going to put it in mine and see if I get anything, because I really think it possibly might be more of a incorrect programming or setting issue for you as opposed to needing a better antenna.
Yes, I mean I get some FD/PW reception with the 102” but the volume is really low compared to Kenosha stuff! As you know I’m new on this and being doing all the programming manually! So yeah it might be some programming issues there!

superpriesty

superpriesty - You are using the incorrect Antenna for the job, a Longer Antenna wont help , unless you are Trying to Monitor VHF Air band, or Something Lower. for Proper VHF/UHF Public Safety try a High Gain HAM Mobile antenna, a good one is the RS Telescoping HAM antenna that is Center loaded , so that no Ground Plane is needed, but you still need to Lighning Arrest and Properly Ground the antenna.
Where can I get that RS antenna? I looked on eBay but no luck!

fritz73

Premium Subscriber
superpriesty I just wanted to let you know I just picked up a rescue call for Williams bay on 453.700, all comms are strong, loud and clear over where I am, so that proves you don't need a better antenna and that 453.700 IS active. Make sure your scanner is programmed correctly.

superpriesty

superpriesty I just wanted to let you know I just picked up a rescue call for Williams bay on 453.700, all comms are strong, loud and clear over where I am, so that proves you don't need a better antenna and that 453.700 IS active. Make sure your scanner is programmed correctly.
I received transmission loud and clear like 10 minutes after you posted , with the telescopic antenna but different place in same location! But seems like I’m not getting any Kenosha with this telescopic antenna! Which is weird since it was loud and clear whit the whip?

fritz73

Premium Subscriber
I received transmission loud and clear like 10 minutes after you posted , with the telescopic antenna but different place in same location! But seems like I’m not getting any Kenosha with this telescopic antenna! Which is weird since it was loud and clear whit the whip?
Kenosha?? That's pretty far; for that you might need an outside antenna for sure. I thought you were only trying to get the local stuff.

superpriesty

Kenosha?? That's pretty far; for that you might need an outside antenna for sure. I thought you were only trying to get the local stuff.
Hi! Yes I try to get mostly local but my family goes to Kenosha a lot! Also Waukesha but no Waukesha reception at all even with the external whip! But as I said with external whip I get Kenosha loud and clear but locals are super low volume! Will a ground plane help the whip? Or would it still be better to get a Discone?

Status
Not open for further replies.