whistlers scanner prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

The newest Whistler scanners are pricey but, as pointed out by others, they're actually cheaper when compared with what we paid in the past. When I was a junior in high school in 1980 / 1981, I remember how badly I wanted a Radio Shack Pro-2002 50 channel scanner. Price then? $399! That's equivalent to $1058 in 2016 dollars. I got one eventually, at a garage sale in the late 1990s. Fortunately today, I have a lot more disposable income than I did when I was 17 years old - of course, I have a lot more gut around my middle now than I did when I was 17, too.

Last edited:

_jabber_

Whistler is a mfg/distributor and does not sell direct, therefore displaying mfsrp is warranted.
Going to the retailer (ie: zip, scanner master etc...) you will find pricing a little more comparable and affordable. Whistler is just protecting the retailer and not setting the price.

And looking at Whistler's lineup, the only scanners over the $500 mark (retail) are the new TRX models.
The rest are under $500 and the 1080/1095 are under $400. Price ranges for every level. Great lineup and pricing in my view.

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
That is very true about the prices... as the same with Uniden prices on their site are ridiculously high but that's so that you order from the distributor/retailor.

Whistler is a mfg/distributor and does not sell direct, therefore displaying mfsrp is warranted.
Going to the retailer (ie: zip, scanner master etc...) you will find pricing a little more comparable and affordable. Whistler is just protecting the retailer and not setting the price.

And looking at Whistler's lineup, the only scanners over the $500 mark (retail) are the new TRX models.
The rest are under $500 and the 1080/1095 are under $400. Price ranges for every level. Great lineup and pricing in my view.

seth21w

Or you could do like i did and buy a pro668 on ebay for 200 dollars new in box and buy a 100 dollar md380 for dmr on ebay new in box and have 2 radios lol... that do everything that the trx1 will do but you can also get new ws1080 for around 380 to 400 which does dmr and p1 and p2 digital on ebay new with warranty! Same scanner minus condumb and nxdn which hasnt been released yet for the trx...

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Or you could do like i did and buy a pro668 on ebay for 200 dollars new in box and buy a 100 dollar md380 for dmr on ebay new in box and have 2 radios lol... that do everything that the trx1 will do but you can also get new ws1080 for around 380 to 400 which does dmr and p1 and p2 digital on ebay new with warranty! Same scanner minus condumb and nxdn which hasnt been released yet for the trx...

You dont need to buy the DMR radio. just use the built in discriminator tap from the 668 into your pc and WALLA you have DMR and NXDN
Specially for so many that were able to buy the 668 for $99.00 and not overpriced at ebay for $200 or more.

I have a 668 connected to Winbook 8" and works great with DSDplus

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
The DMR on the TRX scanners is great. That said, there are certainly cheaper ways to listen to DMR. Android TV Box CHINA R820T RTL2832U USB ...
$7.65
When you get down to it, you can just about listen to anything now for $7.65 and DSDPlus. I have an MD380, and sure, it scans DMR, but it doesn't do everything the my 1080 with DMR or my TRXs do.
The old saying "there are many ways to skin a cat," and the same is certainly true trying to monitor most types of radio systems.

wbswetnam

You dont need to buy the DMR radio. just use the built in discriminator tap from the 668 into your pc and WALLA you have DMR and NXDN
Specially for so many that were able to buy the 668 for $99.00 and not overpriced at ebay for $200 or more.

I have a 668 connected to Winbook 8" and works great with DSDplus

I have a Whistler TRX-1 and a Uniden BCD536HP w/DMR upgrade, but I also still have my 25 year-old disc tapped Uniden 142XL working with DSD+ so that I can receive NXDN, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.