trx-2 digital scanner radio - mobile/desktop
$649.95 this more new then that one ?

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Why is that ws1098-digital desktop/mobile scanner radio
$679.95 on there website

trx-2 digital scanner radio - mobile/desktop
$649.95 this more new then that one ?

Sorry apparently that was a typo when we moved to the new website. Should be $729.95. It's updated now. Sorry for the confusion!

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
Really, these overly inflated prices do nothing but drive customers away, especially when you can get a much better scanner that doesn't depend on a "sd" card to operate for under $500.00 or less.

Secondly with prices like these any firmware updates for additional modes or anything else should be free.

This is just my two cents for whatever good it does.

radio3353

Clearly the arm chair listener is now out of the market. Scanners are at a price level only a dedicated hobbyist will pay (and maybe first responders.) A large group of people are now lost as customers.

Ed6698

Considering this is MSRP prices, The TRX2 just recently came out, also looking at the pricing on the 536 that has been out for a couple years has a price just about $700 on Unidens website. Then have to pay for the additional stuff, the TRX2 is actually cheaper.

Nasby

Clearly the arm chair listener is now out of the market. Scanners are at a price level only a dedicated hobbyist will pay (and maybe first responders.) A large group of people are now lost as customers.

I think that the casual listener can still get a used scanner at an affordable price that will keep them happy for years.

But as for casual customers wanting the newest gear, I think you are correct. The price will sour them.

brizzotheizzo

Just started a live scanner feed at liveatc.net. Got a "lightly used "uniden on eBay for $35. Works great for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I should clarify that the prices listed are MSRP. You should contact your preferred dealer for specific pricing. The TRX-1 and 2 do receive updates via the EX-Scan software and will be eligible for the free upgrade to NXDN when it is available later this year.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that these prices are a little high because of course these radios are new in the market and Whistler would like to capitalize on as much profits as they can.

Also, keep in mind Whistler probably inflated the price so they could add DMR and NXDN down the road and just build the cost into the price of the radio.

Make sense. It's a good way of doing business since people dont feel like getting nickel and dime all the time for every little upgrade and firmware upgrade.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I agree that the average Joe or Jane who just wants to monitor some action will be astounded by the going prices. But the best scanners of years ago were still up in the $400-500 range. When you factor in inflation, these new scanners don't seem so high. Compare car prices 20 years ago to what you pay now.
But I agree with Nasby that one can get an affordable scanner (say $200-300) and do pretty well, unless you have Phase II. Even then, the 325 and 996P2 Unidens are pretty decent, in fact, quite good. Even $500, divide that by 365 = $1.36 per day. Say you listen 4 hours a day (many listen all the time). Now its 34 cents per hour. And you're probably going to keep that scanner for more than 1 year.
Pretty cheap for entertainment and keeping informed if you ask me.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I've found the price does not matter when a product is sold with all of its options. I was taken for a ride by another company a couple years ago when they pushed their products and charge for not having them.

This year, I was taken back a little on the prices for the TRX 2 but found a good deal from HRO on one just a week after they were released. Best choice for my money spent on such a great working unit.

I listen everyday/night when I have free time and think for the money, Whistler is where it is at right now.

Thanks for making a better product and for not pushing things that are not with the unit out of the box. I also thank you for giving us the upgrades others charge for, for free! Even though I know they are built into the price.

Don't let sticker shock get you on the MRSP, shop around as you can find these units a little cheaper now compared to when I first bought mine.

Now I am thinking of selling or trading my other two scanners made by the infamous undone for a trx-1.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I find comparing scanners to vehicles does not work. Why? Because my $47,356 Dodge Durango was negotiated down to $33,500. We cannot negotiate the scanner prices with such great savings but, we can shop around and maybe save $100-150.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
And at $150 off thats 25% get that at a car dealer. The statement ment you will spend the money if you want it. ALSO the AOR is $1,200.00 does not do trunking does do both NXDN's. TRX-2 LIST $729.00 Ham Station Price $519.00 thats over $25% off the price.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
But the best scanners of years ago were still up in the $400-500 range. When you factor in inflation, these new scanners don't seem so high.

Exactly.....

I (and MANY others) paid $400 for the PRO-2006 when it was first offered for sale from Radio Shack in 1991.

According to the CPI inflation calculator, that is equivalent to paying $706.75 for a scanner in today's dollars.

Inflation Calculator: Bureau of Labor Statistics

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
Got one used from Craigslist last week for $375.00 TRX-1. Cant complaint yet great scanner doing a lot more then any Uniden I've owned.

Can afford new, look at CL

Status
Not open for further replies.