Who did you work today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
As a relative newbie (on the air 3 months) I see the term "activate" or "activation" or "thanks for activating" used on the air. What exactly does that mean?
It means that an amateur radio operator put some sort of special station on the air. It could be a mountain top, it could be a national park, it could be an island, it could be a Maidenhead grid. Whatever the activation, it's someplace that other hams want to contact, probably to win some sort of special certificate or award.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Well, good to know I didn't screw up the information too badly. Do you ever make it further south toward the Bay Area? I recall talking to someone via 2M simplex that was either on Mt. Diablo or might have been the Sonoma Vallejo area a while back. Less than a year I think.

I haven't done Mt. Diablo yet. I did do Sulphur Springs Mtn. near Vallejo a couple of Months ago. You make be thinking of KK6ZLY. He has worked the East and South Bay quite a bit lately.

Mikedp

It means that an amateur radio operator put some sort of special station on the air. It could be a mountain top, it could be a national park, it could be an island, it could be a Maidenhead grid. Whatever the activation, it's someplace that other hams want to contact, probably to win some sort of special certificate or award.

Ahhh...thanks, that's what I was looking for! So when someone says "thanks for the activation," I suppose it's thanking the operator for putting this special station on the air? Somehow I was under the impression that the activation may have been "triggered" by the station's first contact received. I just didn't know. Very interesting, thanks.

KE0GXN

Worked Mike, AE5H on a local repeater while mobile on I-65 in Mississippi on way down to Florida for vacation. :)

Not much DX or distanced involved, but I am still amazed about how welcoming our hobby can be. Had a great QSO with Mike who before that, I did not know from "Adam", but sure enough, I threw my call out and he responded like we had always been friends. Great hobby! :D

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I just had my first CW contact on 70 CM. (432.100 Mhz) I worked W0PHD in Warren MN.. 144 miles direct over the flat prairie.

I was using a Kenwood TS-2000.. 40 Watts into a horizontally polarized 11 element Yagi.

I've used SSB before on 70 CM, but it was a treat using CW for the first time. :)

bharvey2

This isn't a contact per se but, at 28.415 USB, I've been hearing a "tick tick tick" sound. It is pretty steady at about 8 beats per minute. I've also heard t a few khz down the dial. Is that a beacon or is that similar to a birdie? I'm fairly new to HF so I don't always know what to expect or what I'm hearing.

k9rzz

Worked 5W7X, Samoa today on 15 meters CW. Earlier, I caught 5R8UI on 15 as well, from Madagascar.

I'm using just a barefoot TS430s, 100 watts (barely), and a crummy looking wire ground plane hanging in a tree, base just up 10 feet, with 3 radials.

Don't give up on DX during these crummy times!

AC2OY

Worked 5W7X, Samoa today on 15 meters CW. Earlier, I caught 5R8UI on 15 as well, from Madagascar.

I'm using just a barefoot TS430s, 100 watts (barely), and a crummy looking wire ground plane hanging in a tree, base just up 10 feet, with 3 radials.

Don't give up on DX during these crummy times!

Very nice John!!! I would love to work those guys on SSB. Maybe I should learn code I hear it's easier to work those rare DX stations using CW.

k9rzz

It was a good DX day yesterday, I picked up 6v1IS/p Senegal on 20 cw and to my amazement, fell right into the lap of TZ4AM in Mali on 40 cw. 100 watts and my vertical antennas for 20 and 40. Sweet!

k9rzz

Had a nice 15 minute QSO with a CO8 Cuba on 40m CW at 9pm last night, then found myself up at 2am (you know why), so I turned on the radio and had another nice QSO with a ZL1 in New Zealand also on 40m CW. The bands aren't 'great' but not that bad either! (I'm running 200 watts to a ground mounted vertical with only 5 radials)

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
The bands are not great as they say but I agree that it can still be fun hunting the DX. I too was able to work the 5R8UI Madagascar on 15 CW with 100 watts and a cage vertical yesterday. I listened for awhile this morning on 40 and heard a very loud VK2DX working a stateside pileup. I never heard a VK that strong in the last two years. S9+ !! So the DX is out there and I guess if it was easy, it wouldn't be as rewarding when you finally make that contact. When the bands are rough as they are now, CW is much more prevalent in the DX you will hear and be able to contact.
Have Fun,
Mike

KE0GXN

Finally got a Japan station, (JA7QVI) in the log!

All I have and ever had is a G5RV up in a tree in my backyard barely up 35 to 40 feet in an inverted V, broadside east and west and 100 watts. Thought I would never get out to that area of world and be heard. It was on 17 meters with only a 5/5 signal and lots of QSB, but we had a decent QSO none the less.

73s and good DX everyone!

N2AL

Finally got a Japan station, (JA7QVI) in the log!

All I have and ever had is a G5RV up in a tree in my backyard barely up 35 to 40 feet in an inverted V, broadside east and west and 100 watts. Thought I would never get out to that area of world and be heard. It was on 17 meters with only a 5/5 signal and lots of QSB, but we had a decent QSO none the less.

73s and good DX everyone!

Fantastic and congratulations!!! That is an impressive accomplishment!

AC2OY

Anthony you son of a.....!! That's great man every time I see one in the cluster and tune to it all I hear is static. One day I'll get one that's really great congratulations!!!!😊📻

KE0GXN

Anthony you son of a.....!! That's great man every time I see one in the cluster and tune to it all I hear is static. One day I'll get one that's really great congratulations!!!!😊📻

Thanks Mike! What are you doing this Sunday evening?

I would love to get you in the log again with am actual QSO, instead of just...

Me, "CQ MO QSO Party.....AC2OY. 5/9 Misssouri and hey aren't you on Radio Reference?"

You, "QSL, 59 New Jersey and yeah I am on Radio Reference."

Me, "Roger, 73...QRZ." :D

We could try 40 or 80 meters. :cool:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Don't forget that the ARRL SSB Sweepstakes is this weekend. Might be hard to find a spot that isn't wall-to-wall contesters from 2100 UTC Saturday through 0259 UTC Monday. Of course, there's always the WARC bands.

SCPD

QRT
I was traveling in the Northeast today and for grins and giggles tried the K1FFK repeater at 146.91, a whopping 85 miles from my calling location.
Operating with a 5-watt H/T, I wasn't expecting much. But to my surprise, as soon as I put my call out, I got a reply and had a nice little conversation.
For VHF in the Northeast, this repeater has superb coverage. I'm heading northbound tomorrow on I-87 and will be interested to see how far north K1FFK reaches.
Many thanks to NoBARC for this repeater.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
First HF

Today on 20 meters, I worked N4DA in Georgia (2020+ miles), as well as W0MNA and W0ERI in eastern Kansas (1390+ miles). I was operating portable on top of Pine Hill (elevation 2059 ft.), in the Sierra Nevada foothills east of Sacramento in Northern California. It was about 1:25 in the afternoon PST. This was my first time operating on SSB for Summits On The Air--in fact, my first time operating on HF ever.

I'm quite pleased with the results, especially as I put this activation together at the last minute. I was feeling pretty disorganized and was not expecting much.

I was pushing 50 watts from my Yaesu FT-857D, through an LDG Z-11 Pro II tuner to a Yaesu ATAS-25 vertical antenna. This was my first time operating this portable rig; I have no complaints about the performance of any of these components.

Last edited:

AC2OY

Thanks Mike! What are you doing this Sunday evening?

I would love to get you in the log again with am actual QSO, instead of just...

Me, "CQ MO QSO Party.....AC2OY. 5/9 Misssouri and hey aren't you on Radio Reference?"

You, "QSL, 59 New Jersey and yeah I am on Radio Reference."

Me, "Roger, 73...QRZ." :D

We could try 40 or 80 meters. :cool:

Sorry Tony I'm working 10pm-6am for the next three weeks. Sunday night is my Monday but Friday night if you want we can surely try. You tell me where and when and I will go on!!!😊

Status
Not open for further replies.