Who manufactures Radio Shack scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8DV

With all the discussion of RS scanners and that GRE is no longer manufacturing for RS, who is making RS scanners? Does anyone have an idea?

madnachos

n2mdk said:
If the association with GRE is over that leaves only Uniden.

Everything RS has on shelf now was made by GRE or Uniden. Yes, GRE wont be making scanners anymore for RS (I guess) but most current models were made by GRE.

DickH

n2mdk said:
If the association with GRE is over that leaves only Uniden.

There are actually two Unidens. Uniden, USA and Uniden, Japan. The PRO-433 and PRO-528 are Uniden, Japan products and Uniden, USA denies any knowledge of them.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Who from GRE has said they will no longer make scanners for RS? Just because the new models that are coming out will not be limited by sale to RS, they still have manfufacturing facilities and if they have spare time it would only make sense to make scanners for RS or anyone else. This is why Uniden makes scanners for RS.

N8DV

This poses an interesting situation: if Uniden makes RS scanners, what not just buy Uniden instead of RS. I hope the quality is the same. Same with GRE, just buy GRE instead of RS. I assume, that when RS has either Uniden or GRE make their scanners, the quality is as good as the named brands. Am I wrong or assuming too much?

n2mdk

Up until now GRE didn't market their radios in the US except through RS, some of the Uniden made radios were custom made for RS and as someone else said some were designed not by Uniden US.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
RS scanners made by either mfr are spec'd by RS as to how they will operate (i.e. all RS to date use "banked" memory, include "SKYWARN" as a feature button, etc). Hardware-wise the quality should be comparable, but the feature sets and implementation will differ.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I find it interesting that the new Uniden OEM PRO-162 has an "open and close" mode for the bank, as mentioned in the pre-release FCC TA Owners Manual. This is a different feature from the norm found on other Uniden OEM radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.