• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

who steals the tip of an antenna!!! - continue to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berksguy

I have a old short CB antenna on top of the jeep. To go in a parking garage over the weekend I took it off because it hits. Sunday morning back on the road I put the antenna back on and all was well. Got to my destination event and after I came out a few hours later, the antenna was ‘knocked over’ just sitting on the roof and the upper most part of it was missing..apparently unscrewed and no it’s not sitting on top of the jeep. At first I thought maybe I didn’t install it right but c’mon, the magnet is the magnet and it takes a lotta force to remove it and sure enough the magnet did hold firmly when I tried it again. also I thought even if the magnet didn’t hold, I would have heard the thing bouncing ‘all over the roof’ with the turnpike speeds and id think it would not come to rest so ‘perfectly’ on top of the jeep and instead would have fallen down the side of the door where the cable goes inside.

I’m left with the conclusion that some idiot just had to have fun and remove half the antenna to maybe use in his alien costume or something lol.
thankfully it was just a free handmedown but still...i've been all over the place, in big cities, little towns, and this is where it gets stolen..really weird.

when i got home i had my friend sit in the driveway with the 'broken antenna' while i went in the other car in the garage. when they talked into the cb out there, i heard them fine. but they couldnt hear me trying to reach them.

id rather be able to receive than send but still..just wondering if the tip is meant for extra range or what the function is? on the way to work today tried talking several times but no one answered. i did hear some distant chatter but not enough to tell one way or the other what is going on

mancow

Database Admin
Tip? The metal rod that screws into the coil? If so, that's half of the antenna. Of course it won't work and it's not a good idea to transmit into it.

berksguy

ah didnt know it could be dangerous. i guess 15 for the cheapo at walmart will have to be done. just wish could find freebee locally :) the jeep is really not used a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.