• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

why does the g5 and g4 work so well on simulcast systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitbr

Just bought the g5 and works amazingly well but my question why.Is it doing something different then the new Uniden sds100 to decode simulcast systems. What is the difference in how the 2 different devices handle LSM?
Thanks
Tim

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Just bought the g5 and works amazingly well but my question why.Is it doing something different then the new Uniden sds100 to decode simulcast systems. What is the difference in how the 2 different devices handle LSM?
Thanks
Tim

Like my old papi used to say you can do many things good but only 1 thing great.

The G5 is designed to recive great, You will notice it dosent scan great, it dosent have great scanner like options.
Its made to receive great, the SDS100 is made to do lots of things good but nothing great, and thats the way a scanner has to be made

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Unication: an architecture and design focusing on doing one thing very well for their professional market.

Uniden: trying to make a scanner that attempts to do everything for the hobby market, which is where the trade-offs become evident.

^^^ and what he said!

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
So the Uniden uses True I\Q does the Unication use similar technology?

Good question. While I do not know for sure, I suspect it does not use the same SDR receiver design that Uniden is using in the SDS100 (using the Rafael Micro R836 Tuner chip). It *probably* uses a proprietary receiver design for LSM like most professional two-way radios that are designed for LSM systems.

radio3353

Very simply...the Unication's are professional radios and the Uniden SDS100 is a consumer radio. Price notwithstanding.

CanesFan95

But more specifically, what is it about the circuit design of the Unications that makes 'em better?

Chance

Feed Provider
@Homeboys I think the question could be more generally applied what makes a professional radio circuit design receive better than a scanner.

It literally starts with the antenna, which granted you can change on a scanner.

Instead of a wide receive from almost DC to Daylight, a professional radio is designed for one band, maybe two. (Except the APX8000 which is many of thousands $$$). With only one or two bands you can focus on better filtering from the very beginning. The list goes on... All the way to the UI where a scanner has to serve many types of use cases, versus a User Interface on a professional radio is very specific.

Bottom line, ask an engineer to design a scanner or ask an engineer to design a receiver for a specific modulation type and frequency range and you will get two very different designs.

It's really unfair to say one design is better than the other. Each had a different goal and should be compared among other devices in its category. i.e. Whistler vs Uniden.

Chance

Feed Provider
Just to add a little bit more. Why does your car radio pick up FM radio stations so much better than a scanner?

Sure there's better audio equipment and speakers.

But more importantly it's purpose built to do one thing well. FM radio has a pilot tone. The receiver can literally lock onto the tone and adjust for frequency variations. And decode the stereo signal. Really really genius, especially 50+ years ago. But still way overkill on normal FM analog transmissions.

This circuit would be a waste of space in a scanner and you are just given the minimal ability to demodulation FM with no extra frills attached.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Uniden or Whistler should license the “Unication Magic” or partner with Unication and build the ultimate scanner [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denrodg

Doesn't play well with others
Banned
The SDS 100 does a great job on all bands, there is no issue like a mass bunch of broken scanners being sold, I have the SDS 100 and it receives perfectly on all bands it's capable of receiving, and I have other scanners to compare it to. The unication pagers don't receive better on simulcast than the SDS 100, they are equal in comparison. This whole "slam the SDS 100" because you have no idea how to work the thing is getting so old. it isn't like the scanners of the 70s or even 90s, they are a new generation and they work perfectly fine, learn how to use it properly before you claim it doesn't work.

Reactions: TGP

mitbr

The SDS 100 does a great job on all bands, there is no issue like a mass bunch of broken scanners being sold, I have the SDS 100 and it receives perfectly on all bands it's capable of receiving, and I have other scanners to compare it to. The unication pagers don't receive better on simulcast than the SDS 100, they are equal in comparison. This whole "slam the SDS 100" because you have no idea how to work the thing is getting so old. it isn't like the scanners of the 70s or even 90s, they are a new generation and they work perfectly fine, learn how to use it properly before you claim it doesn't work.

I was debating whether to respond to this. I will say no one in this thread is slamming the sds100. I am glad you are enjoying your new radio have fun with it!
Tim

denrodg

Doesn't play well with others
Banned
I was debating whether to respond to this. I will say no one in this thread is slamming the sds100. I am glad you are enjoying your new radio have fun with it!
Tim

I apologize for my words, even if there were hateful words for the sds 100, who cares really? it is just a scanner and that is it!

Reactions: TGP

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased my G5 on Monday I believe it was and I'm eagerly awaiting it. I hope it gets here before I go out of town for Christmas because I need to send my SDS100 in for a repair I just confirmed today.

I am wondering about one thing on the G5? And the company I bought it from, and when I talked to the owner, mentioned that they didn't know if there was a firmware update yet that allowed you to hold on one channel. It was explained that there are ways of achieving this in a different manner. But I don't quite understand how yet and I'm wondering if there has been an update that allows you to hold on one talk group or channel?

I'm legally blind and have a hard time keeping up with threads and finding things sometimes. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but can anyone also share any good reference links on the G5? I've already downloaded the software and guides but they don't seem to explain a lot regarding programming and functionality. I'm not going to have time to research this before I leave to go see my sister and Mom for Christmas. And I know I've got a lot to learn about the G5 but I haven't found the good instructions or details yet. Any help would be appreciated...

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Markb

Premium Subscriber
This is a grossly oversimplified explanation, but older scanners use demodulated discriminator audio versus IQ demodulation in the SDS100 and other professional grade radios. The analogy would be 2D vs 3D.

mitbr

I just purchased my G5 on Monday I believe it was and I'm eagerly awaiting it. I hope it gets here before I go out of town for Christmas because I need to send my SDS100 in for a repair I just confirmed today.

I am wondering about one thing on the G5? And the company I bought it from, and when I talked to the owner, mentioned that they didn't know if there was a firmware update yet that allowed you to hold on one channel. It was explained that there are ways of achieving this in a different manner. But I don't quite understand how yet and I'm wondering if there has been an update that allows you to hold on one talk group or channel?

I'm legally blind and have a hard time keeping up with threads and finding things sometimes. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but can anyone also share any good reference links on the G5? I've already downloaded the software and guides but they don't seem to explain a lot regarding programming and functionality. I'm not going to have time to research this before I leave to go see my sister and Mom for Christmas. And I know I've got a lot to learn about the G5 but I haven't found the good instructions or details yet. Any help would be appreciated...

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Hi Brian!!
There was a Unication company rep who stated that talk group hold was in the que for the G4 AND G5 but as of this date it has not been implemented.

There is a simple work around though that works real well.On the top of the radio there is a knob that has 8 positions. You can place any p25 system in each knob position and allow it to scan up to 64 talk groups or you can place a single talk group in each of the 8 positions which will allow you to listen and hold on that talk group.

There is the ability to create a zone which will have its own 8 positions. This is done in the menu system of the radio.
I forget how many zones you can have but its allot more than you would ever use.

One of the neat features of the Unications is that you can make your own mp3 or wave audio file and place it on each of the knob positions. So for example lets say you place fire dispatch on knob position 1 the wave file could say fire department dispatch every time you selected the first knob position. This feature would be real helpful to you since your legally blind.

Not that your driving but when I am driving down the road I turn the knob position and without looking at the radio or taking my eyes off the road it tells me what talk groups i am listening to.Very nice feature!!!

I use text to wave program to do this its a free program available from the link below....
https://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/winnt/art/fh698474.html

Tim

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for that information Tim and it will be very helpful. I was just looking at a friend's programming that he sent me for his G5 and I did not realize that so much could be put into the radio / pager. Thank you for the link also and I will check that software out. I appreciate the helpful tips and I will make some MP3 files to assist knowing where I am changing to when switching zones. I had heard something about that but had not really known how it was used. Your example was a great one and just being able to turn the knob and have it announce what I'm switching to would make things a lot easier for me. Thank you for the help!

Brian (COMMSCAN)
Hi Brian!!
There was a Unication company rep who stated that talk group hold was in the que for the G4 AND G5 but as of this date it has not been implemented.

There is a simple work around though that works real well.On the top of the radio there is a knob that has 8 positions. You can place any p25 system in each knob position and allow it to scan up to 64 talk groups or you can place a single talk group in each of the 8 positions which will allow you to listen and hold on that talk group.

There is the ability to create a zone which will have its own 8 positions. This is done in the menu system of the radio.
I forget how many zones you can have but its allot more than you would ever use.

One of the neat features of the Unications is that you can make your own mp3 or wave audio file and place it on each of the knob positions. So for example lets say you place fire dispatch on knob position 1 the wave file could say fire department dispatch every time you selected the first knob position. This feature would be real helpful to you since your legally blind.

Not that your driving but when I am driving down the road I turn the knob position and without looking at the radio or taking my eyes off the road it tells me what talk groups i am listening to.Very nice feature!!!

I use text to wave program to do this its a free program available from the link below....
https://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/winnt/art/fh698474.html

Tim

mitbr

Thank you for that information Tim and it will be very helpful. I was just looking at a friend's programming that he sent me for his G5 and I did not realize that so much could be put into the radio / pager. Thank you for the link also and I will check that software out. I appreciate the helpful tips and I will make some MP3 files to assist knowing where I am changing to when switching zones. I had heard something about that but had not really known how it was used. Your example was a great one and just being able to turn the knob and have it announce what I'm switching to would make things a lot easier for me. Thank you for the help!

Brian (COMMSCAN)

No Problem Brian glad to help, When you get the G5 you will be floored at how well it works it is an amazing device that puts all of my scanners to shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.