Why I like RadioReference Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK_SAR

While I've been a radio user for many years (volunteer SAR), I'm a relatively new Ham. Got my Tech license last spring, and upgraded to General over the summer. Since joining the amateur radio world, I've lurked around several online forums. I finally opted to join RadioReference. The main reason is that this seems to be the most civil, and open place. Lots of interesting discussions on a very wide range of topics. For the most part people seem friendly, patient, and open minded.

I lurked on eHam for awhile, but that forum seems overrun with grumpy old men. Many (most?) of them can't seem to get over the fact that Morse Code is no longer a requirement. And page after page of argument about how the test is too easy now, and all new Hams are just appliance users. Also incessant grumbling about people who choose not to use their call sign as a screen name. Overall I find the signal to noise ratio to be pretty poor on eHam.

While I am getting old, I try not to be grumpy. And we can never go back to the good old days (however good or not they really were). That's why I find RadioReference to be a nicer place to hang out and follow discussions.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's one of the main reasons I've stayed away from e-ham.
If you posted "1+1=2", someone would start an argument over there. Although the same can happen here sometimes.

I tried to use e-ham a few times a long time ago and finally gave up. Every question or discussion ended the same way.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
That's one of the main reasons I've stayed away from e-ham.
If you posted "1+1=2", someone would start an argument over there. Although the same can happen here sometimes.

I tried to use e-ham a few times a long time ago and finally gave up. Every question or discussion ended the same way.

Me, too, Sometimes I'll go there for the reviews on a particular item if I can find information elsewhere but I have been there in, um, probably a year or so.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Eham is spot on how you put it, I am for people set in there ways, but do not demoralize a person who is interested in the hobby, I was one of the first to get a ticket with no code, and I was looked down on for that, and I stepped away from the hobby because of that reason. And let my ticket blow in the wind, and never renewed it.

Sadly it never has changed, and won't, here people are encouraging and good to others, and we self police each other, and that's why this place is awesome, I have been a member for over 17 years, and go here every day!

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Well I had a name of RICCO before, and lost my password, and had a invalid email (was a old Yahoo account that's now dead) so I made this one and had it since. And I stand corrected it was 13 years not 17

Sent from my 5049Z using Tapatalk

KD2FIQ

I agree. RR is the most civil and helpful (especially to new hams). Lots of holier than thou attitudes on some of the other forums for sure!!!

I mean I don't need to be reminded of the testing requirements for when you took your Advanced / Extra test 25 years ago!

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
1. The moderating is on target. (Thank you mods)

2. One still needs to sort through the hash, but there are some very fine people sharing their knowledge on here.

3. The ignore user feature is wonderful, until someone quotes them in a thread hahaha.

4. All those that contribute to the database and those that admin it.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
1. The moderating is on target. (Thank you mods)

2. One still needs to sort through the hash, but there are some very fine people sharing their knowledge on here.

3. The ignore user feature is wonderful, until someone quotes them in a thread hahaha.

4. All those that contribute to the database and those that admin it.

I have to agree, including the moderating. I've had my feelings hurt by the moderators a couple of times. :)

There are also certain knowledgeable people whose information I've learned to take at face value and I appreciate the input and help.

WRCM

I'm not grumpy about losing the Morse requirement. However I would like to point out that 25 years ago, hearing "I refuse to upgrade until they get rid of that outdated Morse requirement!" and variations on that theme, got pretty old.
Some of the people I knew back then still haven't upgraded. 🤣

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I was a member here for quite a few years I think before I actually started posting regularly, other than a question now and then. I was (and am) somewhat grounded after a couple of heart surgeries, and I get bored easily. Lots of good info here, helpful folks for the most part, and an incredible database. Don't really do much Facebooking other than the kids and relatives so this is my go-to place when I want to go. I like the fact that no matter what you want to ask here - hobby related - someone will always have the answer you are looking for. Fantastic forum!

As for the new face-lift...meh...it's growing on me :)

JD
kf4anc

I am quite a fan of RR... as anyone whose read what I have posted in here can probably guess-- but like JD (above,) my opinion is still forming on this new Format.

I was taken quite by surprise with the new look.... Ahh !, this is going to require a bit of a learning curve for me... looks like a lot of new buttons and toys to become familiar with............ :)
like that smiley face...... or maybe this one :sneaky:..... I like this one !, sort of sexy, No ?....
New Toys !

Lauri :sneaky:

DJ11DLN

Another vote for the jury being out on the new board software. I know there were a lot of complaints about the old format but frankly I didn't have a problem with it. And like many who are closer to their sixth than their fifth decade, I do tend to dislike change. But I will get used to it (I hope).

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
+1 on on the jury being out on the new look and user interface. I lie the overall look. It's easier to read and has a more modern and cleaner look. I also like the updated text entry format. However, the rest of the user interface will take some time to get used to.

KE0GXN

RR folks introduced me to amateur radio and motivated me to get my license!

Funny story.....I was invited to participate in a QP contest one year by a neighboring club and recognized a random call from a user name on here that came back to my CQ. We both shared a huge laugh when realized we were members of this site. :)

relay99

Premium Subscriber
That is the most accurate and honest post I've read on these forums since I've been a member !!
Expression that is whitty yet extremely knowledgeable .......and that's priceless !
That's why I like RR !
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.