Why is ham radio not P-25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

Many legacy hams in my area have chosen to go to P25 to get away from DMR which has become CH 19 due to the availability of sub $100 CCR's. A welcome relief.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I like P25 as a public safety provider I dont need to carry 2 radios. I also agree with others about the CCR's and think the P25 networks I have used in HAM are a much nicer network.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Many legacy hams in my area have chosen to go to P25 to get away from DMR which has become CH 19 due to the availability of sub $100 CCR's. A welcome relief.

Sounds elitist. Hope you are enjoying your more expensive P25 so you, and the old hams don't have to deal with the unwashed masses. /sarcasm

What the heck is a "legacy ham?" LOL.

(I did like the CH 19 chicken band reference. Made me laugh)

N4KVE

What the heck is a "legacy ham?" LOL.

(I did like the CH 19 chicken band reference. Made me laugh)
The hams who were the original users on the local DMR system. Most of us now use P25 to get away from the new breed of $79 Chinese radio users who now populate the repeater, & turned it into CH 19. And the fact that the P25 radios cost a bit more is what keeps them away.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Some "legacy hams" also go a little further because they often snub the newer hams and technology rather than adopt the "Elmer" tradition of helping newer hams become better operators.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The hams who were the original users on the local DMR system. Most of us now use P25 to get away from the new breed of $79 Chinese radio users who now populate the repeater, & turned it into CH 19. And the fact that the P25 radios cost a bit more is what keeps them away.

What? They do? I keep getting P25 radios given to me…it’s like they are falling out of the sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Very funny I thought it was part of being a Ham Radio Operator was to EXPAND AND GROW THE HOBBY not try to push others away.
The Amateur’s Code
by Paul M. Segal, W9EEA (1928)

The Radio Amateur is:

CONSIDERATE….. never knowingly operating in such a way as to lessen the pleasure of others.

LOYAL….. offering loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs and the American Radio Relay League, through which Amateur Radio in the United States is represented nationally and internationally.

PROGRESSIVE….. with knowledge abreast of science, a well built and efficient station, and operation beyond reproach.

FRIENDLY….. with slow and patient operation when requested, friendly advice and counsel to the beginner, kindly assistance, co-operation and consideration for the interests of others. These are the hallmarks of the amateur spirit.

BALANCED….. Radio is an advocation, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.

PATRIOTIC….. with station and skill always ready for service to country and community.

Spec

Anything that gets away from the illegals that are now popping up with boefongs etc that are making up/ using phony call signs of silent keys etc. I'll gladly el;mer any new person as long as they do it correctly.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
There are also NDXN, Fusion and D-Star repeaters, if you don't dig DMR or plain old FM. Exactly what are "legacy hams"? Personally, I have become obsessed with HF digital modes and like a lot of hams, can't stay away from FT-8.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider

This is the exact reason i switched my Quantar to P25. I had a hunting group who bought a pile of $20 radios and decided to use my input. For month i searched for the guys and in the end they really didn't care....

zz0468

QRT
Banned
This is the exact reason i switched my Quantar to P25. I had a hunting group who bought a pile of $20 radios and decided to use my input. For month i searched for the guys and in the end they really didn't care....

I'd have reversed the pair for a while and put them on the receiving end of the problem.

D

DaveNF2G

I don't know if that was meant as an overall comment or specially about P25 and ham radio, but my Harris works just fine on 2M P25.

Both. It's more a matter of commercial vs ham radio snobbery. People who use terms "real" to describe commercial and "hammy" to describe amateur equipment are Motosnobs.

N4KVE

Both. It's more a matter of commercial vs ham radio snobbery. People who use terms "real" to describe commercial and "hammy" to describe amateur equipment are Motosnobs.
Nothing wrong with "hammy" Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu. It's the Baofeng, Wouxun, Radioddity, etc that's junk.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Hahahaha

Just because someone does not like the garbage pail hammy radios that are offered these days does make someone a ‘Motosnobs’

Add in the plethora of garbage coming out of China, with names one needs to guess how to pronounce, and it’s no wonder folks are using modes like P25 and NXDN.

DMR was fun until the masses of operators showed up that can’t be bothered to learn how to program their radios, and just beg for a pre-made code plug, now the only talk group worth monitoring is Local.

Call me a ‘Motosnob’ if you want, but my Motorola radios have sat unused for over a year now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So, in my case is it a Snobwood? But then again I do own some Motorola, so maybe I'm a Motosnobwood.

But then where do you draw the line between Kenwood amateur and Kenwood LMR? Or EFJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.