Why not do a full patch between channels

Scanner-ron

I'm sure like every other department KHP Dispatch is short hand.

I noticed most of the time the dispatcher on F-KHP-1, F-KHP-2 KHP Metro TG is the same person and transmitting on all 3 TG at the same time. I'm always hearing, repeat, you covered by (insert tower)

From time to time I hear this on Troop C and D as well

My question why not just fully patch these TG when the same dispatcher is working all 3 TG or at least 2 TG?

My thought is that way an officer can hear if the TG is being used.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
They could- and if you have monitored a pursuit, they do for the duration of emergency traffic- even patching state and local systems (eg Shawnee County, Johnson County) together temporarily.

HOWEVER- The radio system administrators at the state level strongly discourage patching talkgroups together, other than emergencies. Why? Resource management. Most state tower sites were built with 5 transmitters, so in P-25 Phase 1 they can host 4 simultaneous radio conversations / talkgroups before they “busy out” the site. When you patch talkgroups together and mash the button, you are tying up multiple transmitters.

With Phase 2, you will effectively double the number of simultaneous conversations, though I doubt they will ease up on the patching restrictions. The number of subscriber units on the system is growing rapidly (in many cases thanks to Covid funds), but neither the state or those agencies are making investments to increase capacity on the towers.

scanningisfun

A patch on KSICS doesn’t tie up multiple repeaters. There are patch announcements that go out over the control channel. For Sedgwick County, patches tie up multiple repeaters due to the way the Avtec consoles interface with the system.