Why Scanners today so Limited ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Seems to me all you guys have talked yourselves into a corner. If you want to listen to your local EMS/LEO's - then buy a scanner. If you want to listen to worldwide broadcast stations, ham radio and other utilities - buy a communications receiver. End of story.

Majoco is right but I think that's what most of us have said, just not in so many words. I've never ever considered trying to listen to public safety with anything but a scanner (except when I was working and used a portable). When I want to go world-wide, I use the Tecsun although, admittedly, I don't do that as much as I used to.

AlphaFive

Hybrid

I must be an odd hybrid kind of bird. I use my BCD 536 as a receiver. The custom search allows me much variety at one time. Here is an example. There are ten custom band searches to be used at once. This morning I am using three. I am searching 778.0000 thru 788.0000. I am searching the band at 5.00 KHz, 6.25 KHz, and 7.50 KHz., NFM, at the same time. I do this consistently as my hobby. I start at 28.0000 and wander through the spectrum like that all the way up to 1300.0000. A full cycle will take close to a year, it's what I enjoy. A DV1 would be perfect, but I honestly don't know if it has a continuous search function to run without using the dial. The 536 does make for a hybrid receiver. Although the actual receiver bug is going to get the best of me soon enough....

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
AlphaFive, if it works for you, there's nothing wrong with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.