• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Why the Forsyth County fire department has decided to encrypt its radios, and why that concerns First Amendment expert

radio3353

If you do not like the way your local and state government is run by elected officials THEN VOTE FOR CHANGE WHERE YOU LIVE.
Who were you responding to? zerg901? If so, in that case, police chiefs are not elected officials and they are the ones who push the privacy (keep out the public) aspects of police communications.

radio3353

To who ever it fits vote for new management is the way to change this
I'll say it again - one does not get to vote for police chiefs and they are the 'management' pushing the decisions to lock down police comms. Capiche?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Police Chiefs answer to MAYORS, CITY MANAGERS, ALDERMEN. They set the rules for their HAND PICKED POLICE CHIEFS.
Now do you understand.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
What hogwash! It is a sorry excuse in that article and it has no merit. I've been listening to everything from fire calls to undercover operations for 40 years and I cannot even tell you one story of anyone with a scanner causing a problem or doing anything bad. Not only does the majority of the public not care to listen in, those that do have to learn the hobby and that takes a dedication not many are willing to subscribe to. I could program up a new scanner with everything a criminal might want to use if they were going to commit a crime and they still wouldn't be able to monitor what is going on because they wouldn't know how to turn the dang radio on. Look at all of the people that are interested in the hobby asking questions here on RadioReference. There are some that have tried learning things and have good valid questions. But there are tons more that don't even want to look and find the answers are in the instruction manual and they never have looked at. This has been a hobby for those of us who like to know what's going on and enjoy the radio monitoring. If anything, we've been of more help to Public Safety agencies when we are aware of something in our areas. And yes, I believe with 100% certainty that this scanner feed craze has been the instigating tool in the encryption popping up nowadays. That and the Motorola sales people selling it. It's a shame to see a hobby and passion of 40 plus years being taken away from us as we just sit here and have no say in what happens. I think that scanner feeds are fine if you keep them private and don't publicly put them out there for anybody to listen to through an app. It's a shame because, just like with the scanner radio itself today, a criminal is not going to be able to use delayed app and listening to anything that's going to be helpful to them in the commission of a crime. It's ridiculous but yet it's in the mindset of those not knowing any better and those wanting to keep anybody from being able to listen to what is going on. And unfortunately those are the people many times that make the decisions on encryption. I know a lot of people won't agree with this but that doesn't phase me. It's people within our own hobby that are killing off our hobby and it's a crying shame. We better enjoy our monitoring interests while they still exist because they are disappearing more and more everyday and pretty soon they will be gone. I hate to think of it but if you open your eyes you will see our passion disappearing. It really angers me but it's out of my hands. I wish they would just outlaw the feeds If they look at those as the threat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sent using Google Voice to Text. Please excuse any errors I could not see or catch.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

12dbsinad

Why do you always remind us that you make your living off of encryption?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because com is start and knows where the cash cow is.. What wrong with that? It's going to happen, so he'll mine as well get a piece of the pie.

BoxAlarm187

Because com is start and knows where the cash cow is.. What wrong with that? It's going to happen, so he'll mine as well get a piece of the pie.
If he's making a living in comms, good for him. Why brag about his part in doing away with something that most people on this board enjoy doing?

sc8

If more people encrypt I will make more money too; as a consultant teaching about interoperability when a PD officer and SO deputy draw down on each other because they didn't know they were both responding; as each agency was was operating on their own encrypted system and refused to give each other the key

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Our system is fully encrypted and our interop partner's system is not and we have zero issues with interoperability. Systems that are well thought out and well planned will work regardless of encryption. If a system is thrown together without any planning between agencies, then you'll have issues even without encryption.

kayn1n32008

If more people encrypt I will make more money too; as a consultant teaching about interoperability when a PD officer and SO deputy draw down on each other because they didn't know they were both responding; as each agency was was operating on their own encrypted system and refused to give each other the key
That’s a political failure, not en encryption failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaymatt1978

Not for nothing but it's illegal to unencrypt encrypted communications just like it's illegal to listen to cell phones (Yes I know listening to cell phones is impossible now anyway).
There is no rhyme or reason for fire dispatches to be encrypted.
Better yet somebody needs to come up with away to bust encryption.

Just my thoughts

David