Wildcard behavior TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwpottberg

Premium Subscriber
Don't know if this is common knowledge, but thought I would share since I'm a Uniden brat and newbie to GREs.

While listening to a DMR system with a wildcard TG, I noticed that while scanning the wildcard would activate on all TGs which were not specifically programmed elsewhere. This is great and was expected. Later I decided to concentrate on all those TGs which were not specifically programmed by PAUSING on the wildcard TG when it became active. I expected to then hear all those TGs. Instead what happens is the last TG that was active (on the wildcard) when I paused becomes the ONLY TG I hear until I go back into scan mode. If I later pause again on the wildcard, I can again hear only one TG, maybe a different one, but the one active when I paused.

As I said, this wasn't expected, but I suppose it could be useful by "freezing" on the special TG you want (and later save). Only tried this on a DMR system but suspect all wildcards work the same. BTW, I am really happy with my TRX-1 :) Superb digital audio!

Gilligan

Database Admin
Honestly this is what I would expect from pausing on an active talkgroup; it makes sense to me. If you hear a specific talkgroup using the wildcard that is of interest to you, you would want to make sure that you continue not to miss anything on that talkgroup, which you would if other unprogrammed channels were allowed to play through. However, I don't have one of these radios to test out, but I would bet that if you manually went into the scanlist and then paused on the wildcard channel before there was any activity, now it may possibly play all unprogrammed talkgroups.

In other words, I would expect that pausing on the "wildcard talkgroup" would hold on all wildcards, but pausing on any active talkgroup would hold on specifically that talkgroup. I could be wrong and have no way to test out my theory without owning one of these radios myself.

jwpottberg

Premium Subscriber
Update-

Additionally I found that by going into the browse mode from scanning (by hitting left arrow), then selecting the wildcard TG, and then hitting SEL, you will sit on the wildcard TG and it will then activate on ALL TGs (regardless of what other specific TGs are in the scan list for that system). So this is different than pausing on a wildcard while scanning, and gives some more choices/flexibility of what to monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.