Will the airwaves go silent

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicnut

If the Meriden Police (Ct) are going to Encrypt Scanners does that mean ALL police departments will eventually use this system? I was planning on buying a couple expensive scanners, don't want to waste my money if I will only get a couple years out of it.

Maybe I am jumping the gun here. Any input will be very appreciate. Thanks

Last edited:

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
First, we don't know what location (city, county, state) you're talking about. Second, to answer your question, it's not likely for all police departments in the country to go encrypted.

There are so many radio systems across the country: some are analog, some are digital; some are trunked, some are conventional; some are open, some are encrypted -- it all depends on where someone is, what sort of budget the officials have to work with, what their needs are, and what they have been told/sold by radio manufacturers.

Budget constraints have gotten pretty tight in this economy. Technology changes over time, too. What's widely available or the latest tech today will be outdated and obsolete soon enough.

But again, it comes back to what is happening in your neck of the woods... what is happening in Los Angeles or NYC means nothing if they "flip the switch" locally and you can't monitor.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Thought so, but wanted to double-check. According to the article here, Meriden PD is going to be encrypted very soon, and has already switched to digital transmissions.

If encryption happens, you won't be able to monitor their traffic. But there should be plenty of other things to listen to, such as surrounding cities and towns, and the article mentions that fire department radio traffic in Meriden will not be encrypted.

A quick look at the Connecticut sub-forum here on the boards reveal some Meriden threads already:

http://forums.radioreference.com/connecticut-radio-discussion-forum/220740-meriden-ct-police-radio.html
http://forums.radioreference.com/connecticut-radio-discussion-forum/220140-meriden-police-went-digital.html

That's definitely a bummer!

Last edited:

electronicnut

Yes that is what I am referring to. I saw a whole article on it though. I am not from that area but just in fear that my area will be upcoming. I know there are other things to listen to, but it will not be the same. I guess you will still have EMS, I hope.

Last edited:

electronicnut

Sinister, I looked around for an article on that before I posted, guess I did not look enough. Sorry and thank you for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.