Will the rx 320d work in win 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

Hi I'm thinking about purchasing a pc receiverr and the radio I want is the 320d but I I don't kknow if will work with Windows 8 right now I I use portables and filter the audio with different dsp software i would really like a sdr but the ones i've found are all out of my price range by 100 bucks or more any help will be appreciated

Thanks dan

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

hfflunki

Thanks
What was your main issue with the radio and also is it hard to set up a true sdr the only experience I have with sdr is playing with iq out on an alnico djx11t using winrad most my experience is with portables I had a palstar for a while but for what I do it was overkill the reason I was thinking about a table top or pc /sdr was I listen to 40m on sat night and lately it has been very busy and I need selectivity to be better

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
Have you considered an r820t USB dongle with an up converter? You can get your entire setup for under $100.00. I have been using the dongles (4 of them) on win8 without issue. I have an up converter coming this week so I can tell you how well it works in a week or so once I have a day off to get everything going. Just a suggestion, I love the r820ts.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

searingxheretic

Premium Subscriber
I'll add I've been using SDRsharp with the dongles on win without an issue also. I had some initial installation challenges, but it was configuration problems, not directly related to win8

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To bring this back on topic...

A lot of folks make the same mistake - the RX320 is NOT a SDR radio, contrary to what you might read.

It is far from a terrible radio. The trick to keep in mind is that the antenna jack requires a longer barrel to insure that it makes the connection to break the internal amp that runs with the whip. If you use one of those short barrel jacks (like you used to get from RS) it won't work well at all. I used this radio for many years with good results - and as for the antenna, I used a SO-239 adapter with a very long barrel on it.

The question about Win8 really should refer to the software that interfaces with the 320, not the 320 itself. It would be nice to know which package(s) would work under Win8 - I suspect Callsign will, but there are quite a few that have fallen out of active support, and those may not work under Win8

Mike

hfflunki

Thanks Mike,
I knew it wasn't a sdr I liked the fact that it was made by tentec and not some guy's homebrew that just started out thanks for the tip on the connector

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
humph - I meant to say a longer tip, not barrel, on the antenna adapter - that's what I get for trying to do something like this after 11 hours on the road...

For an example see item 4659 here...

S0239 PL259 Adapters

Notice how long that tip is. It's quite likely to break the amplifier connection for the whip, and the SO239 should be an easy mate for the common PL-259...Mike

hfflunki

Thanks again for the update I ordered a kaito 1103 for a temp fix until I get enough money to buy a new 320d the package from dxtra was the only one I could find that is 8 compatible certified and it is about 200bucks more than I can spend at this point thanks again for the help mike kind of upset me the calllsighn software isn't 8 compatible yet like I said I want something that I can use for ham traffic I can use a Sony sw10 for most my broadcast band stuff but I need a better radio for 40m there is a large ham community in my area and the band is extremely crowded
Thanks again

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Re the Callsign software - did you ask about this on their Yahoo support group? Just because the site doesn't mention it means nothing. The author may simply had not updated their page yet. It wouldn't surprise me to find that this question has already been asked and handled

Don't write it off just yet...Mike

hfflunki

Just set up a yahoo account today on my phone when I get to the house in a couple days I'll do some checking around one more question though I like decoding various modes and also am going to try to get multipsk to work with windows 8 if it does I plan on buying full version for the panoramic rtty and cw decoders will I be able to run a audio wire from the speaker jack and get a decent mono signal I am under the impression that the audio jack is the only way to get sound and it doesn't send audio through the com port this is important for me and the main reason I am not going with a sdr
Thanks
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.