• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wilson 5/8 Lil Wil mag mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke6ats

Premium Subscriber
Haven’t been on 11 meters for ages. I have a Lil Wil. If I were to use that as a base antenna, what would be the length of the ground plane radials? Or can someone point me in the right direction? Low power, neighborhood coverage, not trying to talk to New Zealand. Max distance, if possible, is trying to make 2-3 miles. TIA

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I would think you could get away with radials at the same length as the overall height of the Wilson. The closer to a true 1/4 wavelength (9 feet) the better. What would really help is if the ground plane elements (4 would be best) could bend down at about a 40 to 45 degree angle from the antenna base. This will raise the characteristic low impedance typical of a ground plane to darn close to 50 ohms and provide a really good match. Of course, the higher it is mounted the better it will work.

ke6ats

Premium Subscriber
KN4MSZ, thanks. Not really even sure I truly want to revisit CB, but I have a friend close by who just got a Uniden 980. He’s in the neighborhood and since I’m “the radio geek” at work he wants to try it out. Working on him to at least get his tech license.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree, 1/4 wave long in each direction under the antenna for the ground plane.
But in reality, they work with less. No road legal vehicle is going to provide a perfect ground plane on CB. Getting the antenna up high will help with your range. 2-3 miles shouldn't be much of an issue unless in your area.

ke6ats

Premium Subscriber
mmckenna, we are only at worst maybe 2 miles apart usually. My only other question is my entire place has all types of trees throughout. Most are within 8-10 feet from the only place I can place an antenna. My other issue is the “very sweet elderly neighbor” who absolutely loves to try and get the city involved with everything the neighbors do. That said, I really want to be as low profile as possible.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Not really even sure I truly want to revisit CB, but I have a friend close by who just got a Uniden 980
Interesting. I too have just re-entered the CB bands with the purchase of a President McKinley. My how things have changed from 30+ years ago. If you build the modified ground plane you will be surprised how well it will work. As mmckenna stated 2 to 3 miles is quite realistic. With a halfwave or more in height quite a bit more could be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.