Win 10 and scan programming software

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilbell

Still wrestling with my decision for replacing my computer. Does anyone have experience with successfully running any of the following under windows 10:

Win500
PSREdit
Proscan
Freescan
ARC XT Pro

I have a failing Win 7.1 machine and need to make a big decision soon. Thanks for any help

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Proscan works fine in windows 10.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
My question is when you upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10 do you lose all your programs and end up with just WINDOWS 10 and no software installed?

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
If you do an in place upgrade, nothing gets deleted. Windows is merely upgraded to version 10, and all your programs remain in place. Having said that, we have always recommended to our clients if they wish to upgrade, to take the time to do a clean installation.

marksmith

If you do an in place upgrade, nothing gets deleted. Windows is merely upgraded to version 10, and all your programs remain in place. Having said that, we have always recommended to our clients if they wish to upgrade, to take the time to do a clean installation.
Your recommendation suggests that the upgrade leaves a lot of junk behind or is in some way not as good as a very laborious software and data reinstall from scratch after wiping the system and installing 10.

Why the recommendation for the clean install? What is the benefit over the upgrade?

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Just an SOP for us. It eliminates the possibility of legacy drivers or software which might slip through compatibility checks. Also because the software we provide and support is specialized in nature, and our clients tend to move at glacial speeds on upgrades. I still have a few that are running Win2K or 98SE - for purely economic reasons. "I paid $3200 for that in 1999" is a common refrain. If the manufacturer no longer supports it, we cannot support it is our answer ;)

And frankly, because so many of our clients download/test/move/uninstall software on a regular basis, it's always fun to watch them look a little awestruck at the newfound "speed" they have by clean installing the OS and their programs.

Many of the posts about Uniden's x36 not "working" in Windows 10 can be attributed to legacy drivers needing not to be updated or reinstalled, but to be removed. It does *not* need a driver in Windows 10.

n5ims

Why the recommendation for the clean install? What is the benefit over the upgrade?

Simple answer is that a clean install not only upgrades the OS, but also removes all those mis-configurations, old unused (but still running) drivers for software and hardware, programs that have been deleted (but still left junk installed and probably running in the background), old versions of programs that you've upgraded but remain there since the upgrade software didn't remove them, old toolbars, that keylogger you don't know about, "helper" software that speeds up the loading for programs you no longer use, etc.

Basically a clean install is like getting a new car while an in-place upgrade is like getting a car that's new to you, but still has all of those old bugs and irritations you may have gotten used to, but hamper your performance.

What I generally do is replace the hard drive with a new one and do the clean install there, keeping the old one as a backup (and if things don't work as expected a simple drive swap puts things back as they were). Once things are working as I expect, I may (or may not, depending on what I need) add the old drive back as a secondary one so I can easily find the old files, etc. that I forgot to move over. The new drive probably performs better and has more space than the old one so you also get an extra boost.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
Why not buy an ssd and image it from your Window 7 and keep going....EOF for Windows 7 is 2020 as per there site. Save Win 10 for when your ready and bugs worked out.

budevans

Still wrestling with my decision for replacing my computer. Does anyone have experience with successfully running any of the following under windows 10:

Win500
PSREdit
Proscan
Freescan
ARC XT Pro

I have a failing Win 7.1 machine and need to make a big decision soon. Thanks for any help

I run Win500 and upgraded my PC from WIN 8.1 to WIN10 with no issues. The same goes for my Uniden BCD436HP and its software Sentinel.

Note: Based on what I've seen posted in the GRE, Radio Shack, Whistler and Uniden forums. Many of the driver issues reported in WIN10 have been solved by doing the Unsigned Driver install procedure. You will find the Unsigned Driver procedure posted in the GRE, Radio Shack, Whistler and Uniden forums. I can't guarantee a fix, but the procedure has worked for many users.

budevans

Why not buy an ssd and image it from your Window 7 and keep going....EOF for Windows 7 is 2020 as per there site. Save Win 10 for when your ready and bugs worked out.

FYI: You get to load WIN10 for free for the next year. After that you'll have to purchase WIN10 for what ever price it will be selling for.

norcalbusa

I bought a new PC with Windows 10 and the Prolific USB to Serial driver does not recognize the BCT 15X programming cable. ARC XT-Pro boots/runs, but it can't connect to the scanner because the programming cable isn't working with the USB port (I tried both the USB 2 and USB 3 ports).

I had to force the 2007 vintage USB driver install, and that got things working.

Last edited:

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber

Win500
PSREdit

Win500 works fine. I am almost 100% that I tested PSRedit, as well with no issues.

I did have driver issues at first for the cable. That was quickly solved and updated.

Todd

Scan125

As the author of Scan125 I have received reported issues from some users with Win10. The current Uniden Universal Serial driver for W7/W8 will work under W10, HOWEVER, some people are reporting that say COM3 is enumerated as COM3i (notice the "i" suffix). When I change my Scan125 code to remove the "i" suffix and just go with COM3 then all is well. Others appear to have no issues and only see the COM3 with no suffix.

Thus far I have no idea/clues as to why some W10 systems enumerate ports with a suffix. As a developer I'm not happy with just blindly truncating any suffix character but it works and also thus far I have not be able to figure out what is going on with this W10 suffix stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.