Win 500 has stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobiest

So that Windows pop up is the extent of my paid WIN 500 software. I figured this all out last year and the program worked fine. Than in June, the pop-up started, after the scanner erased itself. The cable would not connect and the program would not open. I tried ANOTHER trial software and that went fine.. Can someone direct me to the WIN500 page where I can get the opportunity to enter my key. Thank you

Highpockets

So that Windows pop up is the extent of my paid WIN 500 software. I figured this all out last year and the program worked fine. Than in June, the pop-up started, after the scanner erased itself. The cable would not connect and the program would not open. I tried ANOTHER trial software and that went fine.. Can someone direct me to the WIN500 page where I can get the opportunity to enter my key. Thank you

Download Win500 again from the site, install it over the old and if it runs, on the top right (Help) is where you can install your key.

noobiest

In my device manager, a port is listed, USB Serial Port (COM11) and also, I can get a page that almost looks like the programing page for Win500. Last year, there was this unusable page but also a working page that is not there in my Windows files, now. On this unusable page, a box is marked server port 8086, if that makes a difference? When I click any of the files, the pop up shows saying that WIN500 has stopped working. Also if it matters I have tried a zip program named 7zip instead of Winzip.

Well I flew on to Windows to look for that help spot but the only page I get is that unusable page and that has no place for help. Had me going thou!!!!!

I have deleted and re installed Win500 a few times, I just cant sign in if that is the problem

Is the question of how to enter a key that difficult to answer? My e-mails are also, apparently, ignored . I have been waiting for Mr Starr for over three months and now again for a week. I suppose if I were a mom or maybe a female that I would have plenty of help. Well that is understandable but for a forum to charge money and be so unhelpful is unique.

Highpockets

Thinking back, I thought when you get a pop up that the 30 days is up and you have to register the software, you have a choice that will let you enter your key, it's been so long ago, I guessing on this though.

Last edited:

noobiest

There is a pop-up somewhere in Win500. that is where I need to be. That is the one you describe. I paid for the software and used it last summer. The only pop up I see is when I click on the various files in my computer where the Win500 went. There are around 4 or 5 of these. A couple will not open (dil files) There is 1 file that opens and looks like the one one that is worked with, it has a display of the radio etc. This page will not do much of anything and I remember it from before. There was a file That I clicked on that opened the working display page probably where that help button is. This page is not in the files now. I never had a icon that appeared on the desktop, I just opened the main folder and clicked on the interface file that worked. Most of the files in the main folder just show me a Windows pop up that says that WIN 500 has stopped working. I do have 1 clue. If I click on the non-working file that gives me the almost look alike radio face page, then I click to connect to try to get the radio display then a pop up comes up mentioning to check ports or something. LIke I said the puter is finding the cable and showing a port 11. Thanks for responding,

Highpockets

There is a pop-up somewhere in Win500. that is where I need to be. That is the one you describe. I paid for the software and used it last summer. The only pop up I see is when I click on the various files in my computer where the Win500 went. There are around 4 or 5 of these. A couple will not open (dil files) There is 1 file that opens and looks like the one one that is worked with, it has a display of the radio etc. This page will not do much of anything and I remember it from before. There was a file That I clicked on that opened the working display page probably where that help button is. This page is not in the files now. I never had a icon that appeared on the desktop, I just opened the main folder and clicked on the interface file that worked. Most of the files in the main folder just show me a Windows pop up that says that WIN 500 has stopped working. I do have 1 clue. If I click on the non-working file that gives me the almost look alike radio face page, then I click to connect to try to get the radio display then a pop up comes up mentioning to check ports or something. LIke I said the puter is finding the cable and showing a port 11. Thanks for responding,

The file you should click on to run the program is Win500 (Scanner Utility).

w2xq

Mentor
Download Win500 again from the site, install it over the old and if it runs, on the top right (Help) is where you can install your key.

The suggestion is appropriate, but since you have installed Win500 multiple times I wonder if there might be files left over from installing Win500 and other programs. Before you re-install Win500 may I suggest you clean up the fixed disk first?

Backup your datafiles first.

Delete the Win500 (backup your datafiles first) and any other apps you want to remove.

I happen to like CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download to remove temporary files, clean out caches and dust out the registry file.

Next step, assuming you are using a regular mechanical (non-RAM) fixed disk, if you haven't defragged the fixed disk in a while, you might run a defragger such as Defraggler - File and Disk Defragmentation - Free Download.

I'm just a more-than-satisfied user of the Piriform products; your mileage may vary. If you don't like Piriform products, pick something you like.

After I do such housekeeping, I find the overall PC performance improves.

After you have cleaned up the fixed disk, THEN re-install Win500.

Just a suggestion. Hope this helps.

Tom

noobiest

There are only a few files in the folder, all of them have been tried numerous times and I have used CC cleaner for years.

noobiest

The software driver is fine. The system worked perfectly, 3 months ago, with other software. The problem is I paid for Win500 to work. I like it better than the new one too. ( I did use the latest release) and plugged in the cable last

Last edited:

Highpockets

The software driver is fine. The system worked perfectly, 3 months ago, with other software. The problem is I paid for Win500 to work. I like it better than the new one too. ( I did use the latest release) and plugged in the cable last

Well, I've run out of ideas, sorry, if you ever figure it out, please post. I will learn something from your experience.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
These are the possible files in Win500. to start program.
Win500.exe (this is the main program and will have the Help-.>licence
Win500_Com.exe (this will also run program but sometimes in limited ops and will also have Help-> licence)

You could have a Win500.exe - Shortcut which has a arrow in the main .exe icon..

Win500Client.exe will open to listen to another radio broadcasting through Win500.exe remote. Your post #3 "box is marked server port 8086" indicates you must have been in Client.exe.

Other items are required in Win500 folder to allow main exe to run.

Don Starr sent an email to every person whom emailed valid payment a two line licence key consisting as follows:
line 1. Name email street address zip code
line 2 alphanumerics xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
He also indicated for user to make a copy of this email and keep for the same reason you are having problems with or maybe you purchase a new PC etc.

</lecture>

w2xq

Mentor

Just for giggles and grins, are the USB ports showing up in the Device Manager? Are they working properly? And is the scanner cable mechanically and electrically OK?

(Could you have had a voltage surge from a lightning strike on the powerlines in the area? Some years ago I had a lightning strike on a tree about 15' from the electrical meter and panel. (Our utilities are underground.) On some PCs ports blew out but the attached devices were OK, on other PCs the external devices failed but the ports were OK. The electric service remained intact but the unseen damage to things in the house surfaced up for the next year. Electricians told me the surge ran around on the electrical ground wiring.)

Like Highpockets I'm out of ideas. :-(

Tom

noobiest

I can not believe this is so hard to figure out. I read the things you guys talk about and I cant understand a thing. On the other hand, I am no dummy, just never had a scanner before this one. My problem has nothing to do with not having a key. I have said that I have my key. I have the E-mail I also have a copy of the e-mail message. I also have a screenshot of the key that Mr. Starr sent. I have again deleted ALL Win500 files and downloaded again . They are downloaded into a file that I named WIN 500 then I have 3 files where I put the extracted files into. These are all labelled with the file name that they came from, when prompted to extract the files when I clicked on them. I would be happy to post these screenshots. None of these files have an .exe on the end. If I click properties, than the file shows up as .exe. I am wondering if I have added some kind of security feature that blocks the .exe ex :) I am going to try downloading the file in ex :) explorer to see if Mozilla has a add on that maybe blocks something? Anyways I can usually figure something out by the cumulative ideas put out there. So thanks.

Well Internet Explorer was the same result.

OCO

Try this to view the extension names of your files:

Start My computer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>View>> Uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" then click "Apply".. Hope this might help..

Here's the files you should see if you view details :

Attachments

• win500.jpg
    win500.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 279

noobiest

Ok I tried that and got the exe to show. My folder from WIN 500 shows up like yours. When I click any of mine, it asks to extract and will not do anything else, except show codes. The extracted files are where I open or used to open the program. One thing is very strange , my original files look like yours, but the file sizes are smaller in all cases. some a lot smaller..

OCO

Have you gone ahead and extracted all the files from the .ZIP file? I'm using XP PRO, latest service pack and patches.. but I see that Don recommends using a thrid party ZIP program . That may be the reason for the difference in file sizes. I'd go ahead and extract 'em all to a new folder and just double click on the win500.exe program..

noobiest

I used a 7zip program I think that before, Winzip was used. That was only a trial-paid program. I enclosed a screenshot. This is the result after clicking on win500 exe from the zipped files. It was highlighted but didnt show. This pop up is what I get when clicking a few files. but some show code and some won't open.

CapturePNGss.png

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
If you have your 2 line licence avalable try Search win500 and delete anything which is not a p500. Then re unzip a new Win500 to new folder. Open new folder and click Win500.exe and check Help Licence Key.
I used a 7zip program I think that before, Winzip was used. That was only a trial-paid program. I enclosed a screenshot. This is the result after clicking on win500 exe from the zipped files. It was highlighted but didnt show. This pop up is what I get when clicking a few files. but some show code and some won't open.

CapturePNGss.png

Status
Not open for further replies.