Win update locks CPU at 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
I have a laptop that always takes forever to download windows updates. Recently I was watching the resource graphs and stats and realized the CPU was running at 100% and seemed to freeze there.

The winupdate service ' wuauserv ' was at 100% and a ' netsvcs ' was also running at 100%.

While trying to update win 7 yesterday, it stayed at the CPU 100% for 4+ hours. It should not take 4 or more hours to update the OS.

Any Idea what is causing this?

I lost one laptop when I fried the motherboard, so this is my last one.

Any ideas and help for a solution would be appreciated.

Thanks

QDP2012

The Update Tool is probably trying to download Win10, which often does take a while. Other threads in this "Computer" forum discuss which specific updates you can uncheck-and-hide in an effort to manually avoid Win10. If that is the issue, then you might want to navigate to the thread Windows 10 will keep spying on you no matter how hard you try to stop it (Post #44) which links to tools that can help prevent Windows 10 from installing.

Hope this helps,

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
QDP2012 ::

No it is not the win 10 thing, I blocked that and hide it from showing during download.

I also have it set to download any updates but not install unless I have checked out what is being downloaded.

It is just the standard downloads that MS puts out. Especially the Tuesday ones as well as the mini ones.

It still should not have to run for hours to do and update. Heck I can do a fresh install in 2 hrs or less.

Something in the ' wauserv ', I think that is the windows update services sounds like corrupted and running a checker for bad or corrupted files don't seem to find any thing wrong.

I probably will toss the LT out if it continues. It took 9 hrs yesterday before I had to shut it down as it apparently froze up trying to dl and I am not even sure how much actually did.

Will try again today , first doing some cleaning, then start over and see what happens. This just sucks, I can't carry a desktop with me. Got to have a LT for some of my uses.

Thanks

moonbounce

I have the exact same problem on my laptop that I returned to factory setting for the same reason, it won't update. I have given up trying to upgrade at this time. Anyways I only use this laptop for one reason and it is never on the internet to at this time it doesn't need updates.

It has been mentioned that the servers at Microsoft are very busy downloading Windows 10 upgrades and will be busy until the free download period is over. I will wait until then, it is not a necessary download for that computer. I have also read that it seems to be related to the first time download as in my case above. After that the downloads will come in at regular internals.

P.S I have read that a lot of people are also having this problem so you are not alone.

Last edited:

moonbounce

When you run the Task Manager run it in Administrator mode so you can see the processes from all users as that will be where the svchost.exe is located that uses 50% of the cpu usage. Once you find it just hit end process. Keep the Task Manager up as you will probably have to repeat the process once or twice.

Another solution is to click on the start button and type in msconfig hit enter ( again you have to be in an Admin account). That will take you to a Systems Configuration box where you click on Services and scroll down to Windows update and remove the check in the box click okay and restart your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.