win500 Client for Android - Listen anywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3RADIO

Wow.. so Siren is no longer needed! Congrats Don! I can finally do with a GRE product what I sent out to do with the new Uniden! Five ***** I will be buying a new GRE today from a guy with some stock left.

Im not sure what word the forum censored but I did not put any curse words in the post.. strange.

smason

Although I love my Uniden's I have been turning a new leaf as of late due to the issues with the x36 line.

Yeah I wouldn't touch the x36 line with a 10 foot whip, but if a 996 landed in my lap I'd be all over it.

I do really like Proscan, use it on my BCT-15, and was using it to stream my PSR600 up until I got the Win500 client for Android.

VE3RADIO

I am having issues getting it to connect.. Do I need to have a full registered version of WIN500 .. I setup a port on my router to forward etc..

smason

I am having issues getting it to connect.. Do I need to have a full registered version of WIN500 .. I setup a port on my router to forward etc..
The demo version should work.
Make sure you have remote server enabled, controllable and have it started. And Windows firewall turned off, or allowing port 8086

I can't seem to get it connected on the 3G connection and I don't have the best cell phone coverage at my house it's really slow dial up speeds. I wonder if that can be the problem?

smason

Ooooo good ones!

I was thinking of the auto-reconnect when a few had that other bug.
Honestly, after fixing last thing, I took a break from the code. Dang thing works - Don't mess with it!
I do want to add the server list instead of just home/away.
I think I will add both of these too, they should not be too hard to do, the auto reconnect probably needs a retry limit so it does not keep trying forever and killing the battery.

So is your break over yet? :)

Just curious if any more development is in the works.

visegrip72

Break is over, but other responsibilities keep getting in the way at times.

I did add the audible alert if the connection is lost. (unreleased)
I would like to make the server list option and the reconnect.
Hopefully I can get these in there very soon.

It does seem that occasionally/randomly there is a disconnect as mentioned previously in this thread. I have no clue why. I am working with someone on this error with a special version that does logging. In the mean time, maybe the auto-reconnect (when done) can at least mitigate and work around this issue.

THANK YOU
to everyone who has commented here and giving support to each other! I really don't check this site too often, and only just hit the subscribe to thread button. I had no clue some of the messages were here. If you have issues, email is best way.

As for the audio delay getting further and further out of sync over time, another one that does not make sense. I wonder if either the pc, phone, or network just cannot handle the bandwidth - but that does not make sense either, because then the display would also be lagging, which sounds not to be the case. Everything is sent via packets in a single stream. Audio and data on the same stream, randomly, audio/audio/data/audio/audio, etc. You'd think everything would be delayed. Plus, the audio sounds ok, you'd think those 20 seconds had to get put in there somewhere, but no gaps. Have you tried to listen to static for a while and see if there are sound gaps? Also, have you loaded the win500client on the pc? Does the pc client operate the same on the same pc, or on a different pc on the same network? I have some thoughts on how to work around this issue if it is on the phone side, like audio backed up in queue waiting to be played. But, I don't know where it is being held up, as I don't get this issue.

Getting connected with the 3g with poor dialup could be more of issues with port forwarding and ddns style issues getting in the way.

Since I play a bunch and connect/disconnect a lot, also never turn off my server, I sometimes had to reset the pc application or even turn the scanner on/off to get everything back in sync. I think that is my situation with all the other stuff my pc does.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for the comments. I hope to have something for everyone soon.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I use my tablet to connect to my scanner nightly as a news photographer. I have been dealing with a few little issues that repeat daily,

Connect to the scanner, but only the STOP button is accessible. I have to remote into my computer to punch buttons on the WIN500 screen.

Display and audio will drift seemingly randomly. Audio will not match the display on my tablet.

Strange, but it is getting the job done, which for me is getting keyed onto stories, listening for codes and such that I can then lock in on. :)

Paul

visegrip72

Were you ever able to use the buttons on the mobile app? Having only the stop button, check the main application on the pc, make sure "Controllable" is still checked. If it is, try exiting and restarting the pc application. I had that as one of my oddities when I am doing a ton of testing, but does not show up on normal usage.

I do have a 1-3 second drift on mine, but have not personally seen anything like 20 seconds ever. Then again, my personal (non-testing) use of the app is usually not much more than 30 minutes at a time, and even that is rare.

- working on the app right now, gonna do more testing, but auto-reconnecting looking good.

smason

Break is over, but other responsibilities keep getting in the way at times.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for the comments. I hope to have something for everyone soon.

No problem, glad to hear you're still doing some work on it. I'm happy just having the functionality.

rylvir

Feed Provider
Connect to the scanner, but only the STOP button is accessible.

I have seen this as well since 1.1a and if you just minimize the app and then bring the app back to foreground without closing or stopping app the buttons come back everytime.

visegrip72

I do admit, there are some quirks to this app. I even get it where sometimes only one button is still disabled. It makes no sense. There's a loop, it goes through each button and enables them one by one, but there will be just one odd button that stays disabled at times. Just insane and annoying. I never tried the background/foreground thing. I bet if rotation is enabled, rotating will fix it as well.

Other news - Version 1.2 is out! I added the beep & auto reconnect option smason suggested. The "beep" is just the default system alert sound and a vibration is made. This "beep" does not happen unless the reconnect also fails, and the program is in the background (or you all think it should always alert? I can change this).

Go to the main win500a webpage to get the latest version

Win500 Android Client

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I just bought a Kyocera Brigadier Android ruggedized phone with loud facing front speakers, mostly because of this ap. You should get a commission from them. :)

I'm actually running multiple audio streams into the Win500 server. I set a second non controllable scanner running into a Y splitter/combiner with the controllable scanner. It is set to a louder audio level, and only scans FD dispatch and important all call channels. The second scanner is loud enough to hear over the controllable one, but I can still understand both at once. :-D

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.