win500 Client for Android - Listen anywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

visegrip72

Just released!

For all of you with win500 and a compatible scanner, there is now an Android client for win500!

Hook up your scanner to win500 with the data cable and an audio patch cable and you can listen to and control your scanner in the other room or anywhere you have internet access.

Special thanks to Don (StarrSoft) for everything with win500 and the support he gave. Thanks also to Barry for doing a bunch of testing for me. Helped out a bunch.

If you'd like to download the app, and see more about it, go to

Win500 Android Client

I really hope everyone enjoys using the app as much as I do.

Free to use for about 5 minutes a day, unlock the limit for only $10 for registration.

(this software is separate from StarrSoft's win500, but does require it)

scanning.jpg

(I would like to make an iOS client, but that is probably not for a few months, but who knows)

bbachman

Ladies and Gents, this really is a great program. I was fortunate enough to test it in Beta form, and let me just say visegrip72 put ALOT of time into it.

Please do at least try it for the test period what do you have to lose? :)

Barry

ps) And that was not a shameless plug.. I gain nothing for it Just an honest review.

Last edited:

visegrip72

upcoming features

Been working on some updates, hope to finish testing and release an update very soon.

1 - Landscape mode and big LCD mode, ability to lock screen in one mode
2 - Added an exit option in the menu, all Android programming sites say not to do it, etc. I know people asked for it, and it works most of the time, use at own risk.
3 - Added a dark theme, tried to get it to look like the scanner
4 - Some behind the scenes optimizations, probably unnoticeable

If anyone has anything else they would like in the software, just shoot me an email or PM.
I'm not sure how important or wanted some of the stuff I listed as "future ideas" are.

scanning_landscape.jpg

scanning_full_lcd.jpg

rylvir

Feed Provider
I have been using this app for a week now and I find it very useful for on the go changes to scanlists for when I am on the road. The developer is great at responding to questions and suggestions and has put a lot of personal time into making this app work this well. I have tried to break it, and despite my best efforts it runs flawlessly on a PSR-410, PSR-310, and PSR-500. Really looking forward to the future updates: that Dark Theme looks fantastic along with the landscape and large LCD modes. Host list will be a nice feature as I run multiple scanners. Anyways thanks again ViseGrip, much appreciated here. I hope others will find this app as useful as I do.

Cheers

W8VFD

Feed Provider
I also had the extreme pleasure of beta testing this app on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, only issue I was having was occasionally it would stop on a channel and there would be traffic but I'd receive no audio, could be something on my end as well, keep up the great work and I look forward to future releases.

visegrip72

How does it look on tablet?

Finally can post this. Standard law of parenting... Go to get daughter's tablet, take screenshots, battery dies. Want to get the pics, got to take son to his activity. I am sure all of you are in the same boat. Sorta funny.

Here's what it looks like on the Asus Nexus 7:

tablet_land.jpg
tablet_port.jpg

only issue I was having was occasionally it would stop on a channel and there would be traffic but I'd receive no audio

Odd, don't think I saw (heard) that yet. It's always possible. Does this happen a bunch still, or only once in a while? Does it happen when on the local network, internet or both?

Host list will be a nice feature as I run multiple scanners

This feature will probably be the next hurdle. I want to make sure the screen rotating is perfect first. Right now, it seems once in a while, it will connect and not know it should enable all the buttons. It's gotta be something small, and it only happens once in a while.

rylvir & everyone else - Thank you for the great feedback and compliments! I really appreciate it, a lot. I'm really happy I got to share this app and others are enjoying it as much as I am.

visegrip72

here's one on the tablet with the stop button hidden in the (android) default color scheme. I totally like the other mode better.

tablet_port_nostop.jpg

W8VFD

Feed Provider
After the app runs for a while in the background on my phone it disconnects and I get the following error message.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,209

visegrip72

OK, I will check it out. How long does it run before the error? Is the screen off at this time? I wonder if power saving "features" could be interacting. Either way, I'll look into it and see if we can get a better, more descriptive error message

W8VFD

Feed Provider
The last time that it did it the screen was on the entire time and I was doing other things and the app was running in the background, I just downloaded the version that you sent me in the message and it did it again, if I had to guess I'd say a few minutes before it does it. I got the same message as before only this time it has the word null at the end.

visegrip72

Version 1.1 seems to be working well and is up for all to upgrade to it. If you already registered the software, do NOT uninstall it first. If you do, you will be asked to re-enter all of your registration information. Just install it over the old version.

Win500 Android Client

Updated:

- Added landscape mode
- Added large LCD
- Added dark theme
- Added Exit option in the menu

smason

Holy blank! Just saw this thread, as I'm switching from iPhone to Android today or tomorrow, and was looking for a streaming client. I so missed the Win500 remote app when I switched from Windows Mobile, This made my day! Will be trying it as soon as my new phone arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.