Win500: Win500 no longer working correctly Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
I am using Win500 on Windows 10 without any problems whatsoever. I hope you get this figured out because I love Win500.

I did too, but using it was becoming more and more difficult and time consuming. The PSREdit program is very similar but not exactly the same and I'm still learning it.

When I first started this thread I was the only one with the problem, slowly a few more folks have experienced my problems as well. Maybe since I am no longer isolated in this situation Starrsoft will figure out a fix, unfortunately for me, it will be too late for me, I've purchased the PSR program.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WIN500 under Windows 10

When my machine was updated from WIN 7 to Windows 10, WIN500 wouldn't run at all. It would show the loading message and then crash. I believe it was an issue in the registry, but never corrected it.

Last week I updated to the latest version of Windows 10. And wouldn't ya know it, this resolved the original issue with WIN500. But it has "pauses" which last over 30 seconds when trying to do certain things. Not usable.

What we need from Don Starr is a command we can issue to clean the registry before installing (fresh?) under Windows 10. And perhaps a clue as to what is needed to solve this issue. It works for some people, so it has to be some sort of "setting" issue.

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
~snip~

What we need from Don Starr is a command we can issue to clean the registry before installing (fresh?) under Windows 10. And perhaps a clue as to what is needed to solve this issue. It works for some people, so it has to be some sort of "setting" issue.

If you (or anyone) knows of a way to contact Don then feel free, I sent a message via the starrsoft web page to no avail. I won't be waiting myself, the program became intolerable for me and hasn't been updated on the website since early 2015. I moved on. I hate when you buy a lifetime license to something but it doesn't really mean lifetime. There's obviously some kind of problem now that I am not alone with the issue, so lifetime means until it stops working.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
FWIW I have the same slowness issue on two separate machines running Win 10 that started a couple days ago. Eventually works but a single channel or TGID entry takes up to 3 minutes. Guess I will trial PSREdit too. Don must have retired from his site.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
FWIW I have the same slowness issue on two separate machines running Win 10 that started a couple days ago. Eventually works but a single channel or TGID entry takes up to 3 minutes. Guess I will trial PSREdit too. Don must have retired from his site.

Support for PSREdit is fully active. You can reach Mike, the programmer at support@psredit.com

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, are you using Malwarebytes? Just tried disabling MBAM and Win 500 seems to run much faster.

floridafuzz

Just curious, are you using Malwarebytes? Just tried disabling MBAM and Win 500 seems to run much faster.

BAM!
I just temporarily quit Malwarebytes and double clicked on the WIN500 shortcut. The program loaded almost instantaneously!
I have not tried to read from or write to the scanner yet, but I think the program will run the way it originally did.
Just curious, how did you come up with that solution? I think you solved the problem.
Would others chime in here and post their results if they are running Malwarebytes and experiencing the slowdown.
Also, the people that never had the slowdown, were you not running Malwarebytes?
Thank you!

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for that info. I do use malwarebytes but since I've had that for years with WIN500 didn't think it could be part of the problem. I did notice task manager was slow to close WIN500 once it froze when I got tired of waiting for it to do any tasks.

In any event I have moved on the PSREdit500 which is very similar so I paid for it.

WIN500 was a great program and I hated to pay for another, especially when it seems with the popularity of Phase II TDMA and encryption the Pro-197 may become nothing more than a paperweight, at least in my area.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
WIN500 was a great program and I hated to pay for another, especially when it seems with the popularity of Phase II TDMA and encryption the Pro-197 may become nothing more than a paperweight, at least in my area.

Works great for me on Windows 10. I doubt it's an issue with Win500.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Works great for me on Windows 10. I doubt it's an issue with Win500.

Yep... a week ago when it was 60 degrees and raining I took the latest Win10 updates, which took almost an hour, and then updated the programming on my PRO-106 with Win500. Worked perfectly fine. I'm not using any after-market anti-virus or malware app... just Windows Defender, which has worked just fine for me.

dfoutch

Premium Subscriber
I Have same problem only with Win97, 98 & 500. All three quit after Win update over night shut down the computer while they were running. Cleaned reg of anything that looked like 97,98&500, no help. Downloaded new programs, no help. So hello PSRedit.

jwolford

Malwarebytes Report regards slow Win500 operations

I've worked on and off for a few weeks trying to make Win500 usable with my 64-bit Windows 10 installation. It initially worked fine, but in recent months has been VERY slow to 1) exit radio control upon stop command and 2) save the current configuration to the P500 file. By slow, I mean that I timed it to be 3 minutes plus or minus a few seconds.

Came upon this thread a couple of weeks ago and sounds like several people are having the same problem.

I isolated the problem by doing a Safe Mode boot - Win500 worked normally, just fine. Did a normal full reboot and exited the two "usual suspects", Kaspersky AV and Malwarebytes - Win500 worked normally. Activated Kaspersky, Win500 still OK. Activated Malwarebytes, Win500 slow again. Set Malwarebytes protection exclusions for the C:\Win500 folder and all its files individually - Win500 operated very slowly as it did initially as described above.

Started disabling protection modules, and upon shutting off the Ransomware module, Win500 was as fast as it used to be. Don't like being without that module plus the Malwarebytes tray icon showed the red warning mark so checked to see if I had the current version of Malwarebytes - "component package" was a couple of months old although my dashboard checked for updates and said I was current. Visited Malwarebytes website and FORCED an installation of the their latest version (now 3.5.1.2522 with Component Package 1.0.421 and Install package 1.0.6559). Left the exclusions in place.

Win500 now works just fine. I had an operating system and AV/AntiMalware configuration which had worked for a LONG time with Win500 which suddenly no longer worked as a result of Malwarebytes adding a Ransomware package which apparently has (or had?) some problems with old programs which are not installed via the registry.

Hope this helps someone else as well. ......................Jim KR9E

Last edited:

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
I've worked on and off for a few weeks trying to make Win500 usable

~snip~

Wow, thanks for all the work isolating the problem. I do have Malwarebytes (Premium) but mine does update automatically, same numbers as your except my install package is newer.

Unfortunately for me, not knowing what you found out and seeing a few others with the problem, I have moved on to PSREdit500, found it to be fairly similar and purchased it.

Also, for what it's worth, PSREdit500 is still being updated, had one recently, whereas WIN500 was getting fairly old, updatewise.

jwolford

Wow, thanks for all the work isolating the problem..

You're certainly welcome. Sounds like you had a different issue with Win500 than I did perhaps. I tried the 30-day trial versions of PSREdit500 and ARC500 and both seemed to work well although I think you had to get the PRO version of ARC500 in order to get the logging feature of Win500.

These scanners (mine is a PRO-106) do a nice job, hoping to use it for several more years as we only have one of the Phase II P-25 systems (US Navy base) in our mostly rural area, the state-wide public safety system is still Phase I.

Last edited:

richardbritt

Database Admin
WIN 500 Running slow

I stopped Malwarebytes and run Win10. Running faster now.

I run ARC500 also and it runs fine with Anti-virus running. How does it compare to the PSR software?

I am using a PRO-251 with the software. FYI Win96 still runs fast on Win10 with the anti-virus running.

Richard in Edenton NC

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Thanks for that info. I do use malwarebytes but since I've had that for years with WIN500 didn't think it could be part of the problem. I did notice task manager was slow to close WIN500 once it froze when I got tired of waiting for it to do any tasks.

In any event I have moved on the PSREdit500 which is very similar so I paid for it.

I installed win500 after not using it for a few years. I'm on Win10 now and it is lagging like crazy. after seeing your post and closing out Malwarebytes it works fast now so far. I hate that when i get a software update for malwarebytes they give me a trial with all the stuff running in the background. it has slowed other things down or something in the past. can't remember now. I'm glad to figure this out. I rarely have money to spend on computer software and bought Win500 5 years or so ago. I am not buying another for the same radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.