Win500 stalls when uploading

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbedsole

Premium Subscriber
I'm posting this story because I was unable to find a solution online for a problem I had this week. But now that I figured it out myself (after much hairpulling), I thought I would add this to the forum, in hopes that it might help someone else down the road.

---

Ok, so I bought a used PSR-500 scanner last week online, and I sat down Tuesday to program it using Win500.

This was my second PSR-500, so I was just planning to use the same .p500 programming file, but when I clicked on "Scanner --> Upload To Scanner" it kept stalling out at 82% or 83%.

I was forced to click "Cancel" on the scanner, and then it would re-boot as if I had done a total factory reset. It told me the settings were going back to factory default, and then it told me the GLOB EEPROM was going back to factory default.

I tried this over and over again, and couldn't find a way around it. After verifying that it wasn't my cable or computer or software, I was just about to request a refund when I decided to check the firmware.

It turns out the scanner had Version 1.0 CPU and DSP. So I figured I would go to the GRE website and download the latest firmware upgrades.

Sure enough, as soon as I upgraded the CPU firmware, it uploaded perfectly, and it scans perfectly. I also upgraded the DSP, but I'm not sure if that actually did anything for me.

Lesson learned... always check the firmware if I'm having compatibility problems with the software.

TES

Look in the win500 settings should be a box to "extend write time" at least PSRedit500 has that option.

Please explain why Win500 "should" offer an option to extend write time.

The OP correctly identified the problem with the statement "It turns out the scanner had Version 1.0 CPU". A read of the well-documented Revision History on Mr. Starr's Win500 page clearly states:

Version 1.48 2008.06.12 09:35 (GMT -0700)
◦IMPORTANT: This version requires version 1.4 or later of the PSR-500 firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.