TRX-1: Win7 64 bit USB woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CbusRog

Premium Subscriber
Trying to update firmware. Win 7 recognizes TRX-1 if all is plugged in on a restart, but loses USB upon attempting to update. I've read and tried the various (myriad actually) suggestions to no avail. I have no compelling reason to go to Windows 10, as Win 7 work just fine for me, except for this.

I have searched, but have not found a satisfactory solution. From what I understand it is an "unsigned" driver
issue. I've downloaded the latest driver from Whistler, but no go.

What have other folks done to solve this? (Other than upgrade to a modern OS?)

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Trying to update firmware. Win 7 recognizes TRX-1 if all is plugged in on a restart, but loses USB upon attempting to update. I've read and tried the various (myriad actually) suggestions to no avail. I have no compelling reason to go to Windows 10, as Win 7 work just fine for me, except for this.

I have searched, but have not found a satisfactory solution. From what I understand it is an "unsigned" driver

You think WIN 7 is bad try WIN 10...

RugerSmith

Is this a known problem with Windows 7 and Whistler? If it is I would probably buy Uniden to avoid the frustration.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It is a widely know Whistler problem with Win 7 Win 8 and Win 10 but if you have patience they are good scanners and work well. It all depends on you computer skill and patience and TRX's will get free NXDN when released before years end.

pyeman99

Is this a known problem with Windows 7 and Whistler? If it is I would probably buy Uniden to avoid the frustration.
I have a TRX 2 Windows 7 64 bit on a Dell T5500, never had a problem.Myself I do not have the desire to go Win 10.Too many radio based programs that already work fine.! G8IXN

Ubbe

I concure, and sometimes a popup window says it cannot connect and I have to close that three times before it continues to transfer data. After restart of scanner it also sometimes goes into firmware upgrade mode and you have to recover from that error after timeout by unplugging the power at the back of the TRX-2. It isn't a 100% working user interface.

/Ubbe

wa4tux

Premium Subscriber

Have only had our TRX-1 for a couple weeks - ran into a similar problem on a 64bit Linovo with Win 7 Pro. Googled:
"Windows 7 64-bit Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" - there are quite a few howto's and even a YouTube video. Disabled their driver signature enforcement, re-installed the driver, and everything then worked in the expected manner.

Hope this helps - your mileage may vary. dave

rustynswrail

I would like to add my two cents to this. Using a Surface PRO 3 with Windows 8 has the same issue, the driver is not signed therefore is not installed. In this day and age that is bull****.

R

CbusRog

Premium Subscriber
Have only had our TRX-1 for a couple weeks - ran into a similar problem on a 64bit Linovo with Win 7 Pro. Googled:
"Windows 7 64-bit Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" - there are quite a few howto's and even a YouTube video. Disabled their driver signature enforcement, re-installed the driver, and everything then worked in the expected manner.

Hope this helps - your mileage may vary. dave

I did that too, and it worked to a point. When placing the scanner into update mode through the programming software, the USB briefly disconnects then attempts to reconnect and fails. However, I went to my Toshiba laptop with Win7-64 and installed everything step by step after disabling driver signature enforcement, and everything works fine. I can plug and unplug the scanner at will with no issues, and was able to update the firmware. I'm still going to tinker with my desktop system though, as that's my main computer.

Thanks for the input folks!

wa4tux

Premium Subscriber
I did that too, and it worked to a point. When placing the scanner into update mode through the programming software, the USB briefly disconnects then attempts to reconnect and fails. However, I went to my Toshiba laptop with Win7-64 and installed everything step by step after disabling driver signature enforcement, and everything works fine. I can plug and unplug the scanner at will with no issues, and was able to update the firmware. I'm still going to tinker with my desktop system though, as that's my main computer.

Thanks for the input folks!

Something I failed to mention, I *did* change USB Ports for the fresh install after disabling Mickey's signed driver checks... You might try that also. Have been playing with the programming, (refining scanlists), almost every day since, and it continues to work in the expected fashion here. Sorry you are still experiencing the problem - I found it particularly frustrating, then got a "hint" here on the forums as to how to proceed. Worked for me, apparently isn't universal. Still recommend trying another port. dave

Rred

What dave said.
But about 18 years ago Microsoft said to the programming world "Y'all better learn to write for NT or you're going to be out of business" and WIndows7 is just Windows NT version 6.x. The same issues apply, there's nothing wrong with the OS and USB support. Win7 counts as a "mature" OS by now.

Hardware makers are supposed to submit their hardware to Microsoft for "compatibility testing" for each specific version of an OS, and if they pass, they get to use the logo compliant graphics on the product box. And they get on a compliant list. Devices that pass are usually pretty reliable--at least for that OS. Problem is, it costs five figures to submit a product for testing, so many vendors cheap out.

So this is very much a Whistler problem, not a Microsoft problem, not a Win7 problem, but Whistler, who hired cheap help and didn't build a good driver, and then cheaped out again and didn't get it signed. Complain to Whistler, who should have resolved that long ago. Because, as the man said in The Pink Panther, "That's not my dog."

Microsoft is often a pain in the butt, but a lot of the issues are either security related (they keep tightening security to stop malware) or simply bad coding, that isn't keeping up with new standards. There's a LOT of bad coding out there.

TAbirdman

What dave said.

So this is very much a Whistler problem, not a Microsoft problem, not a Win7 problem, but Whistler, who hired cheap help and didn't build a good driver, and then cheaped out again and didn't get it signed. Complain to Whistler, who should have resolved that long ago.

Not entirely true - Don S as stated on here several times that the drivers Whistler is using are not drivers. It just tells the OS that when it sees this device call it this. The actual driver is a WINDOWS driver.

Rred

"From what I understand it is an "unsigned" driver issue. "
If Whistler was just using Windows' drivers, there couldn't be any "unsigned driver" issue. Although even using a Windows' system driver, there can be firmware issues in the device, since all USB connections involve an intentionally invisible layer of negotiation and communication between the device "host" and "slave".
If anyone could document an MS system driver (i.e. USB driver) had not been working as it was documented to be working, given the age of Win7 I would have thought it to be corrected a long time ago. Unless there's some reasonable source out there that confirms the system drivers were and are still broken...It is still way more likely to be an issue only Whistler can resolve. Could be their USB firmware "worked" but never really met the full spec, so is sometimes problematic. That's happened with a lot of hardware.

Rred

In Win7 you can uninstall any update that you installed. So regardless of whose fault it is, if an "update" broke your USB connection, roll it back. It is still unclear exactly what is not working under what circumstances. The OP says it is an unsigned driver issue, and unsigned drivers don't come from MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.