WIN97 Error COM1 does not exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_rackowski

UNABLE TO OPEN THE PORT: \\.\COM1

2: COM1 does not exist

Please help me out guys - you have been so helpful and I think I am very close.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Are you using a USB cable or a COM cable? If a COM cable, what port did you plug it in to?

I suspect you are using a USB cable; go to Device Manager and see what port was assigned to the cable. Then go in to WIN97 and set it to the same port.

a_rackowski

UHHHGH.

Error I now get when I try to upload to scanner is Expected to read back the data we just wrote - this failed. Ensure the correct Com port is selected, a supported COM port is selected, a supported cable is attached to the COM port and the scanner, and the scanner is turned on .

DonS

My best guess is that it is COM4. But where on this WIN97 App did I select COM1?

If you didn't select any COM port in Win97, the program defaulted to COM1.

You need to select the cable's COM port in Win97's "Configuration -> Serial Port" menu. Win97 will show only the COM ports that exist on your system, and will flag any that are "already in use". Look in Windows' Device Manager (under "Ports (COM & LPT)"), find the COM port assigned to the USB cable, and then select that COM port in Win97.

DonS

UHHHGH.

Error I now get when I try to upload to scanner is Expected to read back the data we just wrote - this failed. Ensure the correct Com port is selected, a supported COM port is selected, a supported cable is attached to the COM port and the scanner, and the scanner is turned on .

In Win97's "Configuration -> Serial Port" menu, make sure that the only checked option is the "Readback tests".

If you're using the RadioShack 20-047 USB cable, don't use the little "adapter cable" that came with it (it's not needed for any GRE-made scanner, and will cause problems with some of them).

a_rackowski

Okay - now I have WIN97 working properly but I get an error message on my scanner when the upload starts.

On the scanner is says in **CLONE MODE**

Incorrect Model ! Remove cable.

Can you guys help me out?

DonS

Okay - now I have WIN97 working properly but I get an error message on my scanner when the upload starts.

On the scanner is says in **CLONE MODE**

Incorrect Model ! Remove cable.

Can you guys help me out?

What scanner are you using? If it's a PRO-97 or PRO-2055, the error message is probably benign. Win97 sends data for the PSR-300 family which, with current firmware, will accept additional data beyond that expected by the PRO-97/2055. The PRO-97/2055 will show an "incorrect model" message when it gets this "extra" data (but after it has already accepted the initial "good" data) - if unplugging the cable doesn't give you an "initializing" message, you're OK.

DonS

Oh... I just realized you said "when the upload starts"... Are you selecting the correct "upload" item from Win97's "Scanner" menu, based on the scanner you actually have?

Status
Not open for further replies.