Window Mount Antennas (RadioShack 20-011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robcollins5

Hi Everyone,
I'm going to be bold and start off with an apology: I'm sorry that what I'm going to say is going to ruffle feathers. It is not my intention to "troll" or illicit unnecessary debate. I am an active HAM and my mobile setup includes 70cm, 2m, 10m radios and several scanners. My truck looks like a NASA range vehicle and as I grow in my career and realize that I won't be in this vehicle long-term I'm more hesitant to put more holes in the cab, bed, roof, quarterpanels, etc....

So, wanting a simple, clean, non-magnetic solution I turned the the RR forums to see what was being said about window-mount (through-the-glass static signal) antennas. Nothing good. These antennas have been slammed over and over in every thread that suggests this alternative. Someone even said they'd rather drive through a thunderstorm holding a metal hanger out the window then use a window-mount antenna. This was obviously an exaggeration but it truly made me hesitate for several weeks to even give the window-mount a shot. To all of you, I say shame. I purchased one of these for $30 at my local RatShack and have been testing it for several months....

Here's the reality: Static Signal Transfer is not equivalent to solid core signal conduction. Therefore it is unfair to compare a window-mount antenna to a standard receiver to antenna coax connection. The window mount will pale in comparison every time. Here is my unbiased, objective opinion for those of you considering this alternative: Do not use these antenna types for transmitting. The static connection is just not dependable and the danger of RF reflection back to your radio is too high. For receiving only, this is a reasonable choice for short range (<20 miles) quality signal receiving.

Conclusion: Window-mount antennas were not invented by the RF Devil. They are realistic alternatives to solid-core conduction (coax) if you have realistic expectations. If you want to hear your local PD while driving around town (local law/licensure permitting) a window-mount antenna will function for you.

Now....let the flaming begin.
KC9QYE

lowerrollin

Feed Provider
I rock a glass mount antenna for local stuff, as it works sort of like a attenuator, to filter out annoying bleed over from other cities. And while it doesn't matter to me, they are preferred for there inconspicuous look.

Status
Not open for further replies.