Winnipeg Police Encrypted Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

scnnr

Well this morning dispatcher is announcing that all WPS TG's are switching back to Encrypted digital TGs. It has unfortunately gone quiet for us once again after having several months of monitoring again on the old analog TG's. About all we are going to here from them is if the dispatch repeats that announcement on analog tg for a few days to make sure all members remember to switch over.

Last edited:

amduscias

Yup 7am was the first broadcast. Doesn't surprise me will all the "media" showing up at active crime scenes. As the police broadcast "media on scene". We need to switch to an encrypted talkgroup

jmorgan123

Thanks for the update. So that would include the following in the DB?

16048 3eb A WPS1A 1,2,6 WPS 1-A Districts 1, 2, 6
16080 3ed A WPS1B 3,4,5 WPS 1-B Districts 3, 4, 5
8688 21f A Remand 2 Remand Centre 2 Winnipeg
51904 cac A Remand Remand Centre Winnipeg

trevortbt

Why waste money

Why waste money encrypting a channel? Cities like la and new york dont have their channels encrypted
Im gonna figure out a way to get into the scanner wether it is encrypted or not
I know cops in the city. What do WPS have to hide
im getting to the bottom of this.
I might set up a website to once I get in to the radio channel.
now I got to research how radio encryption works....

THANKS AGAIN FOR HIDING INFO FROM PEOPLE

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Can be done but it would be really expensive you would
have to copy a radio owned by wps which is risky but if you know
the right people it is possible

Copy what? You do realize that the encryption keys aren't copied when you read a radio?

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
Can be done but it would be really expensive you would
have to copy a radio owned by wps which is risky but if you know
the right people it is possible
I live in Winnipeg, so I feel your pain. That said, you really need to learn more about what you're talking about (I'm not suggesting you're dumb or insulting you) as what you're saying is very "out there".

Also, it's not wise to discuss committing a criminal act on here (stealing a police radio?) as they WILL use your post against you should you follow through on any of this. They're not as stupid as people make them out to be. There are ways to track down radios, and the people who would be responsible for doing so are not mouth-breathers. I know this for a fact.

There are other services you can monitor to get a synopsis of what's going on with the police. Fire, EMS, transit, towing, animal services and city work crews are all still in analog.

If you want to know what's going on, and really piss them off, you could bug the media relations office every day. Winnipeg Police Service :: UD :: News Room

The worst possible thing you could do is put up a stream. Have you ever heard of being discrete? Think about what you're posting, before clicking the submit button.

Last edited:

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
I've been there for both Saskatoon and Regina. It was a real treat when I was back in Winnipeg and heard all the action out in the open. Well, the stuff that isn't on the MDT or other non-MTS communication. Here (SK) We still have EMS and that can bring some excitement so it's not a total loss.

Hemi204

Premium Subscriber
And the funny thing about ALL of this is...the reason they weren't using encryption for the past 6months is cause they couldn't afford the Motorola re-subscriptions for the encryption because they ran out of budget for the year! "Police Helicopter - New Police HQ - 70million over budget ??? All for a city with not even 1million residents! POOR planning just like the ****ty encryption system they got suckered into buying with a 1970's algorithm.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
And the funny thing about ALL of this is...the reason they weren't using encryption for the past 6months is cause they couldn't afford the Motorola re-subscriptions for the encryption because they ran out of budget for the year! "Police Helicopter - New Police HQ - 70million over budget ??? All for a city with not even 1million residents! POOR planning just like the ****ty encryption system they got suckered into buying with a 1970's algorithm.

From what I've read the way Katz runs silly hall it would make Tony Soprano proud.

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
Hemi204, you really need to research what you're commenting on. Please stop writing nonsense. It only makes those who read it dumber.

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber

What the hell?

masonb

Why waste money encrypting a channel? Cities like la and new york dont have their channels encrypted
Im gonna figure out a way to get into the scanner wether it is encrypted or not
I know cops in the city. What do WPS have to hide
im getting to the bottom of this.
I might set up a website to once I get in to the radio channel.
now I got to research how radio encryption works....

THANKS AGAIN FOR HIDING INFO FROM PEOPLE

Let us all know how that goes for you

Hemi204

Premium Subscriber
Well you see...I work for a crown coporation that works directly with the WPS...and yeah....you think they'd tell the people they mis-budget'd that bad...that they couldn't afford to pay the subsciptions for the new multi-million dollar service they had just bought...I mean with the new police station being over budget 70million they'd tell us the truth about why they weren't using encryption for more then half a year...RIGHT....? Not...

Mars_P25

Paid RR Supporter
Banned
Well you see...I work for a crown coporation that works directly with the WPS...and yeah....you think they'd tell the people they mis-budget'd that bad...that they couldn't afford to pay the subsciptions for the new multi-million dollar service they had just bought...I mean with the new police station being over budget 70million they'd tell us the truth about why they weren't using encryption for more then half a year...RIGHT....? Not...
Again, you have no idea what you are talking about. Your opinion, and fact, are two completely different matters.

Audio holes (incoming audio at dispatcher console) were observed. In the interest of officer safety, they switched back to analog in April 2013.

The matter was investigated and it was determined the DIU3000 (DIU = Digital Interface Unit), which is essentially an analog->digital, digital->analog converter, which also handles encryption/decryption of P25 data, was not functioning properly while in full duplex mode. WPS dispatch utilizes full duplex mode so an officer with priority traffic can interrupt a dispatcher.

The DIU3000 is a legacy device. It's no longer supported by Motorola, although they still sell them to special customers running legacy systems, like Winnipeg. (I personally sold 10 DIU3000s back to Motorola two years ago, through their DIU buyback program.)

As you may or may not be aware, there was a RFI (Request For Information) put out by the City of Winnipeg last summer, specifying their interest in purchasing a new trunked radio system:

http://www.winnipeg.ca/finance/find...51-2013//451-2013_Request_for_Information.pdf

As Motorola has an obvious interest in submitting a bid once the RFQ is out, it was imperative Motorola resolved the problem with the current Trunked Radio System/customer (Fleetnet, WPS) or the City of Winnipeg would likely not consider Motorola to be a serious contender.

Motorola corrected the fault with the DIU3000 and applied the fix(es) in early November 2013.

MTS and the WPS conducted tests in November, and deemed the problem fixed. (The testing could be heard on the MTS Engineering talkgroup in digital clear mode)

On December 10 2013, WPS switched back to their digital encrypted talkgroups.

---

That is the truth. There is no conspiracy. It has nothing to do with "not paying for the encryption subscription". Encryption doesn't expire and there's no subscription associated with the hardware or algorithms the WPS uses to complement their digital service.

I am not a city employee, nor do I have anything to do with MTS or the WPS.

Please accept this as the truth and stop with the nonsense. Thanks.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
And the funny thing about ALL of this is...the reason they weren't using encryption for the past 6months is cause they couldn't afford the Motorola re-subscriptions for the encryption

That's the weird thing. You don't subscribe to encryption.

You buy the hardware modules or purchase the software feature when you buy the radio and then you keyload the radios.

Once that's done, you're set for life unless a radio somehow loses a key but then you just take your kvl and reload the radios.

com501

Now there's a marketing angle I never thought of. How do you make someone's encryption sub expire at the most inopportune moment? Hmmmm....

The liability would be horrendous.

LOL!

mancow

Database Admin
I think our propagation license expired. I can barely hear the local dispatcher even with my real deal Moto reverse sma antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.