• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Wireless install

Status
Not open for further replies.

n211cr

I work for a school district that was opening a connection to the MERIT Michigan educational network to a college down the road via wireless. We have a 2.4Ghz wireless link to some buildings off from this building where they were installing a 5.8Ghz panel antenna. The college contracted a company out to install the equipment. Anyhow in watching them setup the cable run and antenna mounting I noticed a few interesting things. First off they ran RG-11 75ohm at a length of about 150 ft. On top of this they put in a connection at the bottom of the tower to connect to the antenna and another patch cable. Instead of using N connectors or something else more common to wireless they used some plain jane compression F jacks on it. Now this link is not going but a mile or a mile and a half but I thought the combo of F connectors, RG11 that far, and being 75ohm to be a bit absurd especially when running 5.8Ghz. The loss there has to be huge. Anyone else find this odd? I know this company also installs 2.4 wireless links and they have ran LMR-400 or LMR-600 on our runs in the past. I am not sure if this would be the college's way of cutting costs and this company allowing it, or if there is something I mised with 75ohm and with the equipment /5.8Ghz band they are using.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
With RG-11 being used, I bet that they're just feeding IF and power up to a tower mounted RF unit.

We've got 23Ghz hops using LDF-2 runs over 200 feet (and N connectors). The actual 23Ghz RF is generated by a RF unit mounted to the back of the dish. All we're sending up is IF and power.

Status
Not open for further replies.