• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Wireless internet access-what are my options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I'm going on vacation to a cabin in the mountains where there may be no internet access (or maybe not-I haven't checked yet).

I need to know what my options are for getting internet access on a laptop computer that's mobile, or in an area where there's no DSL, cable, or dial-up. I'm interested in the easiest and cheapest methods, althought I realize that "easiest" and "cheapest" might be two different things. Can my Razr cellphone (Cingular) act as a modem? Thanks to all in advance!

W4KRR said:
I'm going on vacation to a cabin in the mountains where there may be no internet access (or maybe not-I haven't checked yet).

I need to know what my options are for getting internet access on a laptop computer that's mobile, or in an area where there's no DSL, cable, or dial-up. I'm interested in the easiest and cheapest methods, althought I realize that "easiest" and "cheapest" might be two different things. Can my Razr cellphone (Cingular) act as a modem? Thanks to all in advance!

Yes your cell phone can act as a modem with the proper cable. REAL SLOW
Verizon offers a wireless nic card (PCMCIA) as well

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
Do you really want to be internet connected whilst on vacation? When I first took my laptop with me, I thought that it would be handy for looking stuff up. But it completely killed it for me, checking email and surfing the net was as if I was STILL at home.

That being said .. the Verizon wireless broadband rocks. You will be very please with it, as long as you are in the service area.

califzeph

The wife and I enjoy having our iBooks with us when we go on a trip. It's really nice for route planning, and fun to email pictures back to friends and relatives.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
The Verizon wireless Broadband thing looks neat, and there seems to be coverage where I'm going. But I'm wondering if I could use my cellphone as a modem, if would be cheaper or easier.

poltergeisty

Deep Thinker
W4KRR said:
The Verizon wireless Broadband thing looks neat, and there seems to be coverage where I'm going. But I'm wondering if I could use my cellphone as a modem, if would be cheaper or easier.

Look at your contract and the plan you signed on to. Call your local reperesentive. May have to upgrade or you could be SOL! Regardless, pull out a topographic map and look to see if you can hit any cell tower and for that matter will your phone be able to com. with it. Bands, contracts, distance. Etc...

I just caught that you said there "seems" to be coverage in the area you will go to. My early morning competency is low. Never the less, the same applies. Bands, contracts and distance. Also terrain will have an effect.

Actually, you would need to find a top. map that provides cell towers on the map. I'm sure there are maps that show these.

BTW~ What kind of phone do you have???

Last edited:

trafficdan

Premium Subscriber
Enjoy the vacation. Only use the laptop to store your pictures if need be.

By the way I use a SPRINT/NEXTEL aircard which works great for me at work. The speed rivals a DSL/Cable connection. At home it is marginal. So you dont really know until you use it.

Last edited:

kd7rto

I would think by now that every little podunk town would have some business running a "hotspot", so wifi is an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.