Yaesu: Wires x question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
I'm waiting to receive an FTM-400XD. New to ham radio and wanted to try a different digital mode (I've already own two DMR radios).

If I understood correctly the YSF literature, in order for me to use a repeater and talk to someone outside the coverage area, I need to connect to a node. However the node needs its own radio. So, if I get a Wires x box and connect it to my 400, will I loose use of the radio since "it is dedicated to the Wires x box"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

w1haf

Yes! You could get another radio or maybe a DV4mini connected to your computer and use the radio to access nodes that way without the HR200 wires x box. It would be very low power and only work at home. You could see if someone else in your area has a Wires x node you can access.

Last edited:

k6cpo

I'm waiting to receive an FTM-400XD. New to ham radio and wanted to try a different digital mode (I've already own two DMR radios).

If I understood correctly the YSF literature, in order for me to use a repeater and talk to someone outside the coverage area, I need to connect to a node. However the node needs its own radio. So, if I get a Wires x box and connect it to my 400, will I loose use of the radio since "it is dedicated to the Wires x box"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was told by one of the people at out local Ham Radio Outlet who also runs his own WIRES-X node that if you hear someone come up on a repeater via WIRES, you can respond to them by just talking to the repeater as you would normally. The repeater itself is already connected to WIRES via a node.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
k6cpo, thanks for your reply.

In DMR, if you wanted to establish a contact with someone outside the US or your local repeater coverage, you just change talk groups, provided the repeater you are using has that talk group. Seeing that, YSF repeaters aren't linked to the internet per se (?), you would need Wires X or have access to a repeater that does?

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Wires X capable repeaters can be connected to Yaesu "rooms and nodes" directly via the internet. Connection can also be made by a node radio (connected to the internet with an HRI200) that is pointed to a Fusion repeater. Repeaters can be linked if they are connected to the same room. Hot spots can also be created with a node radio connected to an HRI200 connected to the internet. All of this of course goes through the Yaesu Fusion Wires network. The Kansas City room has several VHF and UHF repeaters connected via direct, remote and local nodes. One of which is a link to 35 linked analog repeaters across the state.
BB

Status
Not open for further replies.