Yaesu: Wires-x Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the response. I went into the menu and corrected the problem. I was not transmitting the tone because I had the wrong setting. However I do need some advice with Wires-X. I want to download the software for to my windows 10 computer and there are so many sites. Do you recommend any site in particular. It seems I keep go to sites that want me to update my windows 10 but it is uptodate. Shammy
Wires-X, yes I have the answer and it has nothing to do with updating Windows 10.

1. You need to register for a Wires-X account. Go to the following URL and fill out the information. I believe you will immediately receive an email from Yaesu after you complete it. You can then login to the Wires-X site. WIRES-X Member Registration

2. In order to get onto Wires-X using your 400XDR you will then need to register your unique radio ID. After you perform step #1 above, login to the Wires-X site with the username & password you provided and along the left it might say something like "Register your node". I honestly forget if this is part of Step #1 or if you need to do this later. It's so easy I just forgot. Still, you will need to register your unique radio ID. That is a definite in order for it to be a node on the network.
How to find your radio ID:
A. Hold down the DISP button until the menu appears (Not a quick press)
B. Select "GM" in the menu window
C. Selection #3 is your Radio ID

5. Now that you have your Radio ID you can fill out the registration so that your 400XDR can get onto wires-X directly as a node. After you submit your information and radio ID, it will take one to two business days until it is approved. This part is not immediate. The email you immediately receive from Yaesu is just telling you they received your request.

6. At this point you must first ensure your computer has the drivers installed for the SCU-20 cable that came with your radio before you plug it into your computer. SCU-20 PC Connection Cable Driver
They even have a manual on what to do if you need it. SCU-20 Driver Installation Manual

7. You should then ensure your 400XDR has the latest firmware. The instructions are in the zip file on how to update it.
FTM-400XDR/DE WiRES-X Portable Node Station Function (FTM-400XD_USA_Firmware_Update_0205.zip) 2/13/19

*** You should now wait until you receive the email from Yaesu giving you your Node and Room ID numbers. You'll need those in order to initially fire up the Wires-X software with your radio connected.

6. After you connect the cable to the radio and computer, you should put your 400XDR into PDN mode. With the radio turned off, hold down the DX button and press the power button. Once it starts let go of the buttons. You need to do this so that during the software setup screen of Wires-X in the next step, it will read your unique radio ID and auto-populate it where it says serial number on the Wires-X program. (You do this once and then you're golden) It says serial number there because this was originally for the HRI-200 serial number. If your radio ID is not automatically filled in, your computer is not reading it. You cannot manually enter that in. That is going to be a driver issue at that point, either not installed or the wrong port selected.

7. Now we finally come to the Wires-X software part of your request. If you are still logged into the Wires-X site great, if not log back in and select "Node Owners Page" on the left. WIRES-X

8. On this page download the Wires-x PC software version 1.510. (Please note that when it goes to install, it will ask if you want Wires-X to start automatically. I personally do not have it auto start on my computers where I run a personal node, like you are about to do. That setting request is a hold over for the HRI-200 device when used on a computer with a dedicated repeater connected to it. The choice is yours of course.

9. Okay, at this point you should also download the PDF on that same page that says Wires-X Portable Digital Node Instruction Manual ( You really need to keep this handy until you memorize the buttons you'll hit to enable the radio as a Wires-X node. You do it again to take it out of Wires-X mode as well. )

I could be wrong on all of this, but it's probably correct. Others may stumble onto this thread as well so I hope it helps.

shammy

Wires-X, yes I have the answer and it has nothing to do with updating Windows 10.

1. You need to register for a Wires-X account. Go to the following URL and fill out the information. I believe you will immediately receive an email from Yaesu after you complete it. You can then login to the Wires-X site. WIRES-X Member Registration

2. In order to get onto Wires-X using your 400XDR you will then need to register your unique radio ID. After you perform step #1 above, login to the Wires-X site with the username & password you provided and along the left it might say something like "Register your node". I honestly forget if this is part of Step #1 or if you need to do this later. It's so easy I just forgot. Still, you will need to register your unique radio ID. That is a definite in order for it to be a node on the network.
How to find your radio ID:
A. Hold down the DISP button until the menu appears (Not a quick press)
B. Select "GM" in the menu window
C. Selection #3 is your Radio ID

5. Now that you have your Radio ID you can fill out the registration so that your 400XDR can get onto wires-X directly as a node. After you submit your information and radio ID, it will take one to two business days until it is approved. This part is not immediate. The email you immediately receive from Yaesu is just telling you they received your request.

6. At this point you must first ensure your computer has the drivers installed for the SCU-20 cable that came with your radio before you plug it into your computer. SCU-20 PC Connection Cable Driver
They even have a manual on what to do if you need it. SCU-20 Driver Installation Manual

7. You should then ensure your 400XDR has the latest firmware. The instructions are in the zip file on how to update it.
FTM-400XDR/DE WiRES-X Portable Node Station Function (FTM-400XD_USA_Firmware_Update_0205.zip) 2/13/19

*** You should now wait until you receive the email from Yaesu giving you your Node and Room ID numbers. You'll need those in order to initially fire up the Wires-X software with your radio connected.

6. After you connect the cable to the radio and computer, you should put your 400XDR into PDN mode. With the radio turned off, hold down the DX button and press the power button. Once it starts let go of the buttons. You need to do this so that during the software setup screen of Wires-X in the next step, it will read your unique radio ID and auto-populate it where it says serial number on the Wires-X program. (You do this once and then you're golden) It says serial number there because this was originally for the HRI-200 serial number. If your radio ID is not automatically filled in, your computer is not reading it. You cannot manually enter that in. That is going to be a driver issue at that point, either not installed or the wrong port selected.

7. Now we finally come to the Wires-X software part of your request. If you are still logged into the Wires-X site great, if not log back in and select "Node Owners Page" on the left. WIRES-X

8. On this page download the Wires-x PC software version 1.510. (Please note that when it goes to install, it will ask if you want Wires-X to start automatically. I personally do not have it auto start on my computers where I run a personal node, like you are about to do. That setting request is a hold over for the HRI-200 device when used on a computer with a dedicated repeater connected to it. The choice is yours of course.

9. Okay, at this point you should also download the PDF on that same page that says Wires-X Portable Digital Node Instruction Manual ( You really need to keep this handy until you memorize the buttons you'll hit to enable the radio as a Wires-X node. You do it again to take it out of Wires-X mode as well. )

I could be wrong on all of this, but it's probably correct. Others may stumble onto this thread as well so I hope it helps.
Well I went to download the driver for Windows 10 and there is none. Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I provided the direct link to the driver for the SCU-20 cable in step 6. You may have other obstacles to overcome if that does not work for you.

shammy

You really helped me. I tried every where to get help and got zero. I however cannot hear anything. It is in DN receive. I know I am becoming a pain in you no where, but I need the help. Mark

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hmm...please confirm that you did connect to a node or room using the Wires-X software. Something like America's Link or whatever it is called is usually busy, but even though there are numerous accounts signed in, no one may be talking. If you are seeing callsigns appear on your screen and hear nothing that is really odd. I would say confirm your volume is turned up. You should hear operators using C4FM directly on your radio. Analog users you would hear on your computer speakers. Still, most often than not someone is on the digital side. You can always key up your radio and give your callsign and ask if anyone can hear you or just say the word "test" and someone will probably reply.

If you are not able to connect to a node or room, please download the PDF on the Wires-X users page that says "Wires-X Portable Digital Node Instruction Manual". There are hoops you need to jump through and buttons to press in order to get the radio to connect to the computer and then subsequently connect to various rooms/nodes.

shammy

I have a question. I have noticed that above the top vfo(a), are the letters, ID:TXOO/RXOO. They could be zeros. Should that be on the screen when I am in digital mode. By the way Vagrant, I have no other name to call you by, I do appreciate your help, time, and effort. At 71, I am not as keen as I used to be. Mark

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
You will not see the ID:TXOO/RXOO at the top if your radio is in either PDN or HRI mode. Those are one of the two modes your radio would be in to connect to Wires-X network via the Wires-X software and a computer. When you go into PDN or HRI mode via one of the two button combinations when turning it on, your radio will automatically switch to DN. Additionally, you would not see that at the top if you connect to a local repeater that offers Wires-X connectivity and you are actually connected to that local repeater via the long DX button press.

You will see ID:TXOO/RXOO if your radio is in just the regular mode, for a lack of a better term. (By the way, those are Group settings, but avoid messing with that unless others in your area are using that. Even I do not adjust that as people in my area are not that hip, or we just do not use it.)

When you see DN or VW, your radio is set to TX/RX in C4FM, but that does not mean you are connected to the Wires-X network, nor connected to a repeater on Wires-X.

I am 20 years younger than you and yes, it can be a bit much to initially take in. Hell, I'm still figuring things out on this.

As to the DX switch not allowing you to go to FM, you may have performed one of the button press combinations in order to connect the radio to the computer. In order to disconnect the radio from the computer turn off the radio. You then perform the same button press to get out of that particular mode.

This means you should do this:
1. Shut off the radio via the power button at the top right
2. Press and hold DX while powering the radio on, then let go when the screen comes on. If you see the ID:TXOO/RXOO numbers at the top, you're back in the regular radio mode.

- if #2 did not work try this -
A. Shut off the radio via the power button at the top right
2. Press and hold DX and GM while powering the radio on, then let go when the screen comes on. If you see the ID:TXOO/RXOO numbers at the top, you're back in the regular radio mode.

These button presses when turning the radio on are all part of the Wires-X mode you need to enable on the radio in order to use the Wires-X software on the PC. It is a bit much at first because of all the other hoops one must jump through, but once you perform either of the two button combinations several times to get connected, you realize it really is not much to connect up to a particular room/node on the Wires-X network.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have requested some assistance from Yaseu to give you a break. mark
Answering your questions reinforces my memory or steers me to figure out what I do not know. Besides, your questions are similar to what I myself had and others may have as well. Forums for sharing specific information is one of the greatest things about the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.