Witch scanner should I buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

derbydad

Premium Subscriber
I live in Salt Lake City. Witch would be the best uniden scanner for my area? The BC346XT or the BCD396XT?

KM4WLV

I live in Salt Lake City. Witch would be the best uniden scanner for my area? The BC346XT or the BCD396XT?

Well first off, welcome to RadioReference. Here's a link to the database listings for Salt Lake City :
Salt Lake City Public Safety (AC33) Trunking System, Salt Lake City, Utah - Scanner Frequencies

At this point it looks like everything out there is still analog. But if there is the option to go with the 396XT then I'd buy that. There's a bit of a cost difference between the two but with the 396 you're "future proofed" to a certain extent in case they move to digital, which the 346 will not do.

derbydad

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. And thank you for the link for SLC, UT. I can't find anything for the cities around slc like West Jordan, West valley, Sandy and midvale. How do I check to see if these cities are analog or digital?

KM4WLV

Thanks for the reply. And thank you for the link for SLC, UT. I can't find anything for the cities around slc like West Jordan, West valley, Sandy and midvale. How do I check to see if these cities are analog or digital?

No problem. As W8RMH said it may do you better to ask about specific cities/locations near you in the Utah forum where people know the area. I'm in North Carolina but responded since you posted in the Uniden sub-forum.

Here's a little step by step on how to find what you're looking for in the database :

1 - Click the Database tab at the top of the forums
2 - A map of the U.S. will pop up. Click on a state, in your case Utah
3 - Once you click on Utah (or whatever) a map of the state will pop up with
all the counties outlined.
4 - Click on the correct county.
5 - The first thing that will pop up is all of the VHF & UHF license and frequency info
for public safety/local government agencies in the county.
6 - If that particular county uses a trunked radio system then you'll want to scroll all
way to the bottom of the page and there you'll find a listing of all TRS's being
operated within that county.
7 - Click on the name of the system you want information for.
8 - The next page will display all the info for the system including frequencies and all the
talkgroup (aka TG) information. The control channel frequency is in red, and alternate
control channel frequencies are in blue. The only frequencies you need to put in using
either the 346 or 396XT are the CC frequencies.
9 - The TGID's (Talk group ID) that you will enter when programming the scanner are listed
under the label DEC. Two columns to the right of DEC you will see a column that says
mode. A=Analog , D=Digital , E=Encrypted

Hopefully that'll help you know where to find the info you're looking for and give you a place to start. And I hope I didn't loose you there, lol. But as suggested be sure to post in the Utah forum asking for help on monitoring systems specific to that area. That's what those sub forums are for.

If you've got anymore questions please feel free to ask !!!

pgnsucks

I would go with the 396XT your scanning tastes may change upgrade capabilities etc Uniden will probably follow the latter product a little better. Yes it's a bit more in change.... my Dad started me in the late 70's. Now 898, 245, 780, 996 etc etc would have saved $$$ with a more up-to-date unit.

Yes many a LEO dept are going encrypted, then utilities & Mil-air become more interesting, for one. I'm early retired you cannot believe how interesting their communication have become things have gotten worse not better, I was a dispatcher 30+yrs. Even this early in the season I know,,,, that's why I listen.

Then Ham/aka Amateur radio opens up too instead of trash TV broadcasts you have reliable ham-2- ham comms. Something to teach the kids:)

You want to help out in a disaster forget cell-phones cable tv you can be the backbone yes the future is great in perfect condition's something goes bad look to the hams. They will be directing ambulance, PD, help in a disaster. Then the old looks new.... apologize for the rant to all

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.