Woodburn PD on NXDN now.. Not encrypted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marion County, Woodburn, Hubbard Etc now on NXDN protocol. I upgraded my SDS-200 scanner to accept the NXDN protocol with the understanding that these agencies MIGHT also be encrypted. They are not. After the upgrade ($106.00), the station (NORCOM) is now active and UNENCRYPTED! I was not able to find out, so it was a gamble. It paid off. Now they are talking about going to a p-25 trunked system. Most modern scanners do this out of the box, but the older analogs, won't track (800 MHz?)

So, if you want to hear these stations (NXDN) you need the upgrade. When/if they go to p-25, you should already be able to receive these broadcasts with no modifications. (As long as you have the NXDN upgrade)

I hope this helps those wondering if they should risk the upgrade costs. It was worth it to me as that is why I bought the scanner. To listen to local LEA.

wheels1911

is all of marion county going to p-25 trunked system?
If so what would you recommend as a good handheld scanner to hear

is all of marion county going to p-25 trunked system?
If so what would you recommend as a good handheld scanner to hear
Hand held would be the uniden sds 100. I am sure other brands do the same. BUT.. You need the NXDN upgrade. Norcom is NXDN. Now, most of Marion County is NFM. But, rumor has it, they are going to p-25. If they only do that, then any trunk tracking will work. But, they might go further with the NXDN. Only time and a fly on the wall will tell.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Hand held would be the uniden sds 100. I am sure other brands do the same. BUT.. You need the NXDN upgrade. Norcom is NXDN. Now, most of Marion County is NFM. But, rumor has it, they are going to p-25. If they only do that, then any trunk tracking will work. But, they might go further with the NXDN. Only time and a fly on the wall will tell.

When you say Norcom is NXDN, do you mean the Marion County fire channels as well? To me that's the bulk of Norcom. Or do you mean just Woodburn PD is NXDN? I haven't listened to Marion for a while but last I knew only Woodburn was NXDN. And as far as I know they've never been encrypted.

Norcom covers Woodburn, Hubbard, Aurora and maybe a couple other small towns around here, Some fire depts, but I'm not sure. Fire may be a different category and still be narrow FM. My main interest was local PD (Woodburn). I looked high and low to find out if they were encrypted and couldn't find out. Hence this post. It should be easier to find out who is encrypted and who is just changed protocols. My upgrade, at that point was a gamble. I had no idea if they were also encrypted. Turns out, gamble paid off. Could have just as easily gone the other way and the upgrade would have been a waste.

I believe Marion County Sheriff is FMN 154.740. Also, others for MCSO are:
154.890, .865, .905 and 155.700,.161, .1625 and 151.0625 (Court Security)

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Unless something has changed recently the Sheriff dispatch is on their Channel 3 (154.89, ctcss 186.2). They haven't used 154.74 for quite a while, except from time to time they have switched back to it but only briefly.

rightsaidfred

I listened to the RR feed and it was analog just a few minutes ago. I heard they were going to stay VHF but acquire dualband radios and use hSalem system when it comes on line later this year.

I would be interested in any changes coming and encourage anyone with knowledge to post something. I have heard local (Norcom) MIGHT be going to p-25. Don't know about Salem. They are a busy system, but I usually lock them out. Too far away from me to be of interest. I really like listening to local LEA, Fire and Trains. Air traffic is cool, sometimes, but not often.
Also of interest are the local ham bans (2 meters and up). Thinking about getting into 2 meters. Am a general class ham right now. I think my call sign is in my profile.

mm

MARION SO, MARION FIRE AND Woodburn PD haven't changed anything.

I have been listening to woodburn unencrypted NXDN4800 daily for a few years on VHF using a RSP1 SDR, RUNNING UNDER SDR-UNO'S 2019 scanner add on and DSD+ digital decoder and nothing has changed.

MCSO and MARION FIRE are still vhf analog also with no changes.

Salem is still analog UHF with some very random p25 talkaround/chit chat by K-9 UNITS ON 460.475, but only 1 or 2 times a year are k-9 units using p25 and only during training.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I read some of METCOM's board minutes off of their website and it sounds like METCOM and MCSO are looking to replace their radio systems. MCSO wants to remain analog due to the cost of digital being too much. METCOM may partner with either MCSO or Marion County Public Works to reduce cost of a new system. Also MCSO reached an agreement with METCOM and will stop being dispatched by WVCC in Salem and switch to METCOM on July 1st. Metcom does have a test Talkgroup on the State Radio Project but I don't think that went anywhere. Sounds like they are more interested in staying on VHF and upgrading the existing system with MCSO's help.

2013-2018 Metcom Minutes
https://www.metcom911.com/board

2019 Metcom Minutes
https://www.metcom911.com/2019-minutes

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
METCOM will not be dispatching the SO anytime this year, nor for at least 12 months. WVCC 911, and METCOM 911 are currently in consolidation talks, but it could be a 1-2 years out. A lot of politics involved. The last thing anyone wants to do is pay millions $$ for a new radio system(s), CAD, etc when a merger is on the horizon.

Without going too deep into Polk County... multiple fire districts are talking mergers/consolidations. Amity/ West Valley, SW Polk Fire District, City of Dallas and PCFD#1. Radio Comms, 911 PSAP services/ $$, fire station staffing, and response times will be HOT topics.

nightfoam

Premium Subscriber
Jeez, there's a lot of bad info in here...
METCOM (hasn't been Norcom for several years) dispatches for a bunch of agencies on a bunch of channels.
The only NXDN is Woodburn/Hubbard. They're on a single site currently, working on going to multi site simulcast. Most of the money has already been spent on that and they plan on sticking with it for the foreseeable future.
As for the rest of METCOM's agencies, the board has voted to go forward with a county wide (minus MCSO, Salem, Keizer & MCFD1) simulcast system. MCSO may at some point be interested in joining that system but they're not signing up for anything until the METCOM/WVCC consolidation talks are over. Likewise, MCSO has decided to hold off on leaving WVCC while consolidation talks are ongoing.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
Jeez, there's a lot of bad info in here...
METCOM (hasn't been Norcom for several years) dispatches for a bunch of agencies on a bunch of channels.
The only NXDN is Woodburn/Hubbard. They're on a single site currently, working on going to multi site simulcast. Most of the money has already been spent on that and they plan on sticking with it for the foreseeable future.
As for the rest of METCOM's agencies, the board has voted to go forward with a county wide (minus MCSO, Salem, Keizer & MCFD1) simulcast system. MCSO may at some point be interested in joining that system but they're not signing up for anything until the METCOM/WVCC consolidation talks are over. Likewise, MCSO has decided to hold off on leaving WVCC while consolidation talks are ongoing.

VHF or UHF simulcast ?

Status
Not open for further replies.