Worcester/ Ocean City

Status
Not open for further replies.

de784

Feed Provider
Have they made a complete switch over to p25 or are they still using a mix of both systems

DisasterGuy

Currently both P25 and EDACS are on the air. All Worcester county traffic is operating on P25. Some Town of Ocean City services are on P25 with others still on EDACS as migration continues. An EDACS to IP gateway remains active linking the EDACS and P25 systems to allow the EDACS and P25 sites to function as a singular connected system during migration. As such, most public safety talk groups are being carried over EDACS and P25 currently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I was in OC yesterday, and the P25 system was a lot more active than it was over the summer. I could also receive their Ocean Pines site in most parts of the city, although it seemed to be operating in a *low power* mode, even when I was in Ocean Pines.

I have some observations about the Harris waveform compared to the waveform I see on FIRST which I'll post at another time. Also about the fluctuations in decode rate I observed vs. what I typically see with FIRST.

Question: Does Ocean City dispatch their fire department, or is that done by Worcester County?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Ocean City has their own dispatch center that handles calls for Ocean City Police, Fire, & Beach Patrol.

OK, thx. Does the county PSAP answer 911 calls, then transfer them to OC once it is determined the call lies within OC's boundaries?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I believe the trunks for OC sites and numbers go straight to Ocean City. Once in a while something gets passed back and forth, but those are usually borderline cell calls- do correct me if I'm wrong though. Recollection at least is that they have their own trunk end.

emtLarmy15

You do need correcting :)

All calls go to Worcester and then forward to OC. Without getting into all of it all the calls can be routed to OC if necessary and the county now has a full backup 911/communication center (they actually used it for 3.5-4 months following p25 cutover for 911 center renovations) and they use it at least once a month to clean the main center.

Citywide74

Premium Subscriber
OCPD was on both when I was down there last weekend. Same with FD, Transit buses are only on p25, but that was the case in August

WNZT398

OCPD was on both when I was down there last weekend. Same with FD, Transit buses are only on p25, but that was the case in August

Police 1 & 2 are patched between EDACS & P25 Systems. OCPD radios were moved to P25 on January 3rd but you can continue to listed on both systems as long as the patch is up. The patch and EDACS system will be gone by summer 2019.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I was in OC yesterday. The OC P25 system seemed to be carrying all traffic from what I could tell, including OCPD. The Worcester EDACS site was using only three channels, but I did not monitor the OC EDACS (forgot.)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Adding to above, the OCPD North TG, OCFD EMS TG, WCSO TG and Pocomoke PD TG were active on the Worcester EDACS yesterday. The system was using LCN 10- 460.7125 as the cch, and LCN 9 - 860.4625 and LCN 2 - 856.4625 as the voice channels.

Last edited:

DisasterGuy

Adding to above, the OCPD North TG, OCFD EMS TG, WCSO TG and Pocomoke PD TG were active on the Worcester EDACS yesterday. The system was using 460.7125 as the cch.
The EDACS and P25 systems are connected via a migration gateway at the system switch level. As a result the EDACS system appears as a site to the P25 system and the P25 system as a site on the EDACS system. All public safety talk groups are able to appear on both EDACS and P25.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The EDACS and P25 systems are connected via a migration gateway at the system switch level. As a result the EDACS system appears as a site to the P25 system and the P25 system as a site on the EDACS system. All public safety talk groups are able to appear on both EDACS and P25.

That makes sense, although the UT2 software doesn't show that relationship - it only shows site 1 (Ocean City EDACS) as a connected (peer) system, and no reference to the P25 systems (probably not capable since it only reads the cch.) When monitoring the P25 systems of either OC or WC, UT2 will show the OC site (030-030) connected to Ocean Pines site (005-005) and Worcester Co site (010-010,) Ocean Pines connected to OC and WC, and WC connected to OC and Ocean Pines.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Hoping the OC side sounds a lot better than the Worcester side does but I'm pretty sure that won't be the case. Sad to see the EDACS system go. EDACS was always so nice to listen to and P25 sounds horrible. Progress!!!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hoping the OC side sounds a lot better than the Worcester side does but I'm pretty sure that won't be the case. Sad to see the EDACS system go. EDACS was always so nice to listen to and P25 sounds horrible. Progress!!!
It sounds fine to me, but I'm using an SDS100 (and a G5) which work much better on P25 systems than older scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.