Worcster Main Line Frequencies - Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
Hope There are some Massachusetts Railfans Monitoring!

I have a question and it is this; The Main Frequency for the Worcester Main Line has been 160.4100 MHz for quite a while.

Recently, the Dispatcher has been heard using 161.2650 MHz for everything.

I've looked up this frequency, and it supposedly is used by: "Bay Colony Railroad Co, Braintree MA" as their yard Ops Freq.

Also it is supposed to be used by MBTA Keolis as the: "Communication and Signal dept" for Signal testing.

I found this info at: "http://www.scan-ne.net/wiki/index.php?title=Railroads"

I know there is a lot of work being done at this time, some of it is for "PTC" and other work is for general improvements.

Does anyone here know if the use of these Frequencies are in the process of changing?

I hope so, because of where I am situated, the 161.2650 MHz Frequency is orders of magnitude better than the 160.4100 MHz Frequency!

bgav

I’m near Southboro and Ashland stations regularly, I’ll monitor that new freq and report back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

I went to the FCC website and did my best to look up where all the towers are, and what I found for locations were Rhode Island, Somerville MA, Rowley MA, Littleton MA, Ayer MA.

What puzzles me is these locations are basically way north of the tracks and I didn't find any towers or locations along these tracks, unless they have recently just put in place some new ones and the FCC Database has yet to be updated.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify you are talking about the MBTX/Keolis Worcester Main Line, correct? And not the Pan Am (B&M) Worcester Main Line between X25 and Yard Limits at Barber? Pan Am WML is still all on 94/70 with District 3.

bgav

Been monitoring 161.2650 for a couple hours now near the Worcester MBTA/Keolis Main commuter line, not a peep. Must be in use further east of my location.

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify you are talking about the MBTX/Keolis Worcester Main Line, correct? And not the Pan Am (B&M) Worcester Main Line between X25 and Yard Limits at Barber? Pan Am WML is still all on 94/70 with District 3.

MBTA/Keolis Worcester Main Line is what I am hearing, not Pan Am.

I'm hearing all things MBTA/Keolis! Most of it is now on 161.2650 MHz and a little bit still on 160.4100 MHz.

I live in the Waltham / Newton / Wellesley area.

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
Been monitoring 161.2650 for a couple hours now near the Worcester MBTA/Keolis Main commuter line, not a peep. Must be in use further east of my location.

I'm guessing the same thing, they are doing an awful lot of updating and Maintenance around here, the drastically cut back vegetation along the right of way's as well.

I'm hoping this is not temporary, I like the additional traffic I've been able to hear!

bgav

I'm guessing the same thing, they are doing an awful lot of updating and Maintenance around here, the drastically cut back vegetation along the right of way's as well.

I'm hoping this is not temporary, I like the additional traffic I've been able to hear!

FWIW, traffic on 160.410/MBTA20 is loud and clear at my location.

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, traffic on 160.410/MBTA20 is loud and clear at my location.

Also, I was just out to Framingham for a while (Just got home) I could hear 161.2650 MHz (AARR CH# 77) there as well (Not very well, but I could hear it).

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
Still hearing 160.410 in use here in Grafton, along with the defect detector which is no longer a "conrail" detector this changed back a few years ago. Per this post from Scan New England. 161.265 is used by the signal department, maybe the radio techs were testing some equipment.

Keolis Commuter Services - Scan New England

kb1kvd

Communications Roadmaster for a railroad
Premium Subscriber
161.265 was being used to extend coverage with portables for northern tree work that was being done in conjunction with PTC fiber work.

Status
Not open for further replies.