WOW!-Sensitivity of 536 vs HP-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Well, I landed a BCD536 on an Amazon Lightning Deal.. and I also have an HP-2 that is a year old. Not crazy about the tiny display on the 536, especially since it will be replacing a BCT15 in my vehicle. But I disconnected my HP-2 from the antenna in the house (an OCFD in the attic) and connected the 536. Oh my goodness! In the VHF Hi band the 536 is MUCH more sensitive, based upon the number of NOAA weather transmitters that I can receive. With the the HP-2 I was getting 2-3 NOAA transmitters depending on propagation. With the 536 I receive 5-6 NOAA transmitters, with the more distant ones holding the squelch open no problem. So everything I've read here on RR about the 536 being a hot receiver is true... at least compared to the HP-2.

Timmeh-31

Premium Subscriber
Nice, congrats! I nearly snagged that rig during the lightning sale, but I got cold feet and almost immediately regretted it. A couple days later, I found a deal on the BCD996P2, and it wasn't a bad consolation prize at all. It has "ears" for days, even with the stock antenna on it.

Grats again on your new toy, and Merry Christmas! :)

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Well, I landed a BCD536 on an Amazon Lightning Deal...
Oh my goodness! In the VHF Hi band the 536 is MUCH more sensitive, based upon the number of NOAA weather transmitters that I can receive. With the the HP-2 I was getting 2-3 NOAA transmitters depending on propagation.

That's good to know. I managed to snag the lightning deal too. Will be happy to have a high performance receiver when it arrives in about a week :)

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I like my HP2...but the 536 has a very hot receiver. I had fun with that radio driving back and forth to Wisconsin. Best part is that even though the receiver is hot, I got NO crossmod whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.