Wright-Patterson Inactive Shooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
What an afternoon here! My scanners came alive at about 12:40 with the announcement of an active shooter at the Wright Patterson AFB Medical Center...where my wife works. If you walk into the lobby of that hospital she is one of the first smiling faces you see, she manages the Einstein Bagels kiosk right there next to the pharmacy. Needless to say I was shocked. She did not answer her phone or reply to my numerous text messages. I phoned a few people and relatives that also work on the base and they were all incommunicado. Then the media came alive with special reports and footage from the hospital, whipping it all into a frenzy. I stood here by my radio desk wringing my hands and changing the TV channels while monitoring the scanners. What else could I do? Having the information advantage with digital scanners (tho LSM was horrendous, TRX-1 did the best job today) ) I figured the best thing to do was stay right here and monitor the situation and keep making attempts to contact her by phone. I was a nervous wreck, to say the least.

There was no information. I was hearing LE after LE arriving at the scene. I heard them set up a staging area. Medics were already there. I caught some chit-chat about 'all medics and emts to the back door', my imagination went wild and I foresaw the worst. That had to mean there were casualties, right? But, there was something amiss. There were no med coms. No medical transports. I heard a conversation between two cops on a mutual aid frequency wondering who broke the glass doors. One replied 'the training guys'.

Then, another announcement that it was a training procedure misunderstanding, no active shooter, no hostages, no one barricaded, no casualties. Huh? Channel 2 had even announced there were 'hostages inside the hospital, and the shooter was barricaded on the 4th floor.' What? My anxiety and fear was soon replaced with anger and frustration. My wife texted me. They wouldn't let her have her phone during the 'excersize'. Are you kidding me? All of this from an active shooter training excersize? I can only shake my head.

Our media is out of control. That's all I have to say about this afternoon's chaos. They snowballed misinformation into a train wreck and are now on the tube blaming a 911 caller, the base information guy, everything and everybody but themselves. Apparently, gone are the days of verification, they hear a wild rumor and it's off to the ratings contest. If they are wrong, they can always apologize later. No biggie.

My wife is angry and tired, having been kept for 3 hours after her closing shift. Made to walk over a mile away with her hands in the air like a hostage. Sit on a shuttle bus for over an hour with no AC. I am sapped and empty after riding the emotional rollercoaster all day. I canceled plans and caused a delay for someone. And, for what? I hope today was a good lesson for some folks. There really is a thing called Fake News.

JD
kf4anc

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Doesn't the news media just report what they're told? Seems to me the blame lies in their source.

fredva

Feed Provider
I'm so sorry you and other family members had to go through that. But while the media gets some of the blame for not confirming the info they were hearing, I'd put a good deal of responsibility on the base. When the media was hearing from scanner traffic that there might have been an active shooter, a PIO should have been able to immediately report that it was only an exercise. And evidently people on the base knew it was an exercise, since your wife was told not to use the phone. So why allow the outside world to work itself into a frenzy? This might be worth contacting your local congressman's office about, letting them know what you went through as a concerned family member and asking what can be done to prevent it in the future. Let them ask some questions about who knew what, who didn't, and why.

It should be noted that other military bases can have active shooter drills without this mess.

fredva

Feed Provider
Tailgator, I'm curious whether the training exercise was taking place in the vicinity of your wife's facility. I see that base officials are claiming that they received a report of an active shooter in a location separate from their exercise, so they responded as if it was real. A guard even discharged his weapon to enter a locked door.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
There is still some confusion in the entire matter, some misinformation that is adding to it. I think what bothered me the most was 2News reporting that there were hostages in the hospital and shots fired. There was not a mention of that in the least. Where did that newscaster get his information? He was grandstanding in my opinion. There was no chatter on the scanner pertaining to any such claims. Yes, they rely on sources to get their news, I understand that, but there is no reason to embellish and exaggerate in order to sustain ratings and 'be the first' to break the story. Not at the expense of those involved, and their peace of mind. All of this could have been avoided and handled in a more responsible manner, if you ask me.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Tailgator, I'm curious whether the training exercise was taking place in the vicinity of your wife's facility. I see that base officials are claiming that they received a report of an active shooter in a location separate from their exercise, so they responded as if it was real. A guard even discharged his weapon to enter a locked door.

Yes, it was at the base hospital on the 4th floor, which coincidently is the mental health dept. There was a brief drill right before all of this happened, and my wife and her employees had to stand by in a locked office for 15 minutes. Somewhere in this time frame there was an accidental firearm discharge when they were upstairs practicing a door breach during a simulated barricade situation. That might have resulted in the 911 call and the subsequent confusion.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Where did that newscaster get his information? He was grandstanding in my opinion.

Typically, someone claiming to have authoritative knowledge of the facts tells a reporter, who dutifully reports it. Fake news? I think you're placing the blame in the wrong place.

A similar sort of circumstance happened to my wife. It was a mall. A loud noise was heard, people yelled about gunshots, and the place went on lockdown.

Social media had people saying that they saw bodies. People coming out of the mall told the news media they saw blood. Police and media treated it as an active shooter. It's what they were given to go on. The news media dutifully reported what they were told.

Turns out it was a fight, and one guy tazed another. There was no blood, there were no bodies. It was blown out of proportion by the people who were actually there. This business of blaming the news media for "fake news° is becoming extremely dangerous to our democracy.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I suppose, in the heat of the moment, there really is no time for the media to properly vet their sources before acting on their information in their rush to outdo the competing networks. I think, in a perfect storm setting, this could prove disastrous one day.

In reality, I suppose I don't really 'place the blame' on any one person or entity. Days like yesterday are a simple by-product of a society that seems to always be on the brink of hysteria and over-reaction due to the hype and sensationalism brought on by the media in general. It's all about the ratings. Add social networking and rumor to the mix and there you have it, all the ingredients to a perfect storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.