Wrong place...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
This might be the wrong place to post this but I recently tried to enter the freqs for the Kyle Prison and noticed they were talking about "students." An FCC search reveals that the freqs that we have for the Kyle Prison are for the Gary Job Corps here in San Marcos. Can we get those removed and supplemental question: does anyone have the true Kyle Prison freqs?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
texasemt13 said:
This might be the wrong place to post this but I recently tried to enter the freqs for the Kyle Prison and noticed they were talking about "students." An FCC search reveals that the freqs that we have for the Kyle Prison are for the Gary Job Corps here in San Marcos. Can we get those removed and supplemental question: does anyone have the true Kyle Prison freqs?
Since MTC does have the contract for the Kyle Unit, and they have no other frequencies licensed in the area, is it possible they are sharing it with their Job Corps operation?

af5rn

What are those frequencies, and where are they located in the database? I figured they were on LCRA, but obviously not. Any chance they are using common business frequencies that are widely shared? Maybe on a shared or commercial lease repeater? Maybe you can spend a few hours on a day off doing some close-call work for us?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
af5rn said:
What are those frequencies, and where are they located in the database? I figured they were on LCRA, but obviously not. Any chance they are using common business frequencies that are widely shared? Maybe on a shared or commercial lease repeater? Maybe you can spend a few hours on a day off doing some close-call work for us?
See here:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=990#scid-46542

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
texasemt13 said:

There still should be some prison activity on those frequencies. I had a list somewhere that said that the Kyle pre-release facility used a VHF repeater in the 152 area. Listen closer, because at other units around the system, they don't call inmates inmates. They call them clients, students, etc... to make them feel more like a valuable piece of society while they are in a theraputic community or educational environment, which is what the Kyle unit is.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Definitely Job Corps

It might be shared but it definitely has Job Corps on it. As soon as SMPD got 2-3 calls to go see about "Job Corps" students harassing locals at Clarewood Apts., the Job Corps started hoppping all over their channel about getting students back on buses, rounding up the kids at the apts, etc. If the prison does use it- it is very rarely. I've never heard any call signs different then the type he Job Corps uses also.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
OK. Well, I don't really ever come around there for any reason, so they might be using a simplex frequency in that prison. It is not a large property, so a repeater might not be used. However, I am seeing a terminated license WPNX777 operated by Kenwood Systems Inc that has several SMR repeaters, 150.9500, 151.6700, 152.9000, and 153.1550. The list I have is at least 6 years old, so that may have been the VHF "repeater" that was listed. If you can confirm that both the MTC Job Corps repeaters are only for non-prison activity, I will remove them from the database until we can find the correct frequency for their operations. Thank you for your observations. I hate having incorrect information in the database!

pacrat551

TX Admin
Database Admin
It's been a while since I've tuned into the Job Corps, but they do have a narrowband freq that is active for just them.

I've tried listening to the Kyle unit and I have been unable to hear anything on the common TDCJ freqs. I think it's still run by GEO group which has a UHF repeater in Lockhart, but I have not heard any Kyle units on that freq.

The Database shows 153.0275 which I confirmed was Gary.

I just found this callsign WNQJ910 which shows the location of the Kyle facility.

SCPD

QRT
rattlerbb01 said:
There still should be some prison activity on those frequencies. I had a list somewhere that said that the Kyle pre-release facility used a VHF repeater in the 152 area. Listen closer, because at other units around the system, they don't call inmates inmates. They call them clients, students, etc... to make them feel more like a valuable piece of society while they are in a theraputic community or educational environment, which is what the Kyle unit is.

You have got to be kidding? (Students for higher levels of criminal activity maybe)

Does Kyle have access to 153.9050? AND sometimes private correction companies will be licensed where the corporate office is, which might be in a differant state. (Not everyone complies to FCC law)

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Not GEO

The TDCJ says the Kyle Prison is run by a company called MTC (Management and Training Corp.)- surprisingly, there website advertises for the "job corps" ndustry also. They might run both

"The Kyle Correctional Center is an In-Prison Therapeutic Community and a Parole Modification facility, housing TDCJ parole-ready and parole-modification offenders. This is a six month program and is set as a condition of the offenders' parole."

And from the GJC site:
"THE GARY JOB CORPS CENTER in SAN MARCOS, TEXAS,
is the largest, most extensive Job Corps Center in the U.S. The center is managed by Management & Training Corporation (MTC).

So that might answer why they are on the same freqs. rattler- don't take them off until someone can confirm they aren't using these freqs. Maybe just a weak broadcast from the prison.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Maybe the repeater outputs in simplex, different PL????? If nothing can be found in the FCC database, then nothing short of sitting in the parking lot with a close call scanner will help.

pacrat551

TX Admin
Database Admin
Maybe the repeater outputs in simplex, different PL????? If nothing can be found in the FCC database, then nothing short of sitting in the parking lot with a close call scanner will help.

I'm probably close enough, so I'll try to start monitoring the common TDCJ freqs as well as the ones listed for Gary Job Corps to see if I can figure anything out. I could be wrong, but I don't think they are using the same frequencies. As I stated above, I have never heard anything other than the Gary Job corps on the frequencies posted.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
You know, another possibility is Nextel or some other direct connect system being used. I would bet that some questions asked in the "correct quarters" might get an answer. It would seem that last March a lot of people would have been familiar with what was being used by the MTC folks there based on the "escape".

Status
Not open for further replies.