WS1080 - My Tech Support Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE6RHS

I just wanted to post the fact that Whistler has given amazing tech support. It's a long story, but here's a shortened version:

I managed to find a fault in the WS1080 firmware when decoding an EDACS signal during system patches. Granted this is quite obscure, but I do monitor a local EDACS system extensively, and the system dispatchers like to use patches a fair bit, so it was an annoyance to me. When the system had a patch enabled, the WS1080 would receive a "bogus" talk-group - a talk-group not even associated with the agency being monitored.

I simply emailed the tech support email at Whistler and waited. Within several days I was asked to send a CC dump of the condition. I managed to capture the event and returned the dump file a few days later. Several days after that I received a new beta firmware for the WS1080 and have loaded and tested it extensively. All appears to be working correctly.

Needless to say, I'm impressed! For an organization to release a product fix within weeks of receiving a problem report is truly phenomenal! All of my communication with the Whistler Group was polite, courteous, and professional. These people truly know how to treat their customers.

A BIG "thumbs up" for Whistler from this happy customer. I now know for certain what my next major scanner purchase will be - I will not hesitate to buy another Whistler product!

W6KRU

That sounds a lot like my experience. I received my WS-1080 from the initial shipment of them. I had a small issue with the EZ Scan software. It was not a show stopper but I called them to let them know about it. I was told that they would let the software guys know about it. I figured it would take a couple of weeks at best(I used to work in IT). I was amazed when I saw a post here about a new software version that included the fix only one day later.

SCPD

QRT
I know my next scanner will be a Whistler .. given the poor showing of Uniden lately that is a pretty easy decision to make.

Ed6698

That is some good service, a bug found in the firmware by a user, then turning it in and getting it fixed so quickly. I really do like this WS 1080, so glad I held out on getting a new scanner until this one became available.

Status
Not open for further replies.