WSJ - Motorola Solutions probed for bribery

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
What business is it of US authorities?

Did you even read the article?

Authorities are searching for evidence that Motorola Solutions may have violated the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the Journal reported the people as saying.

Provisions and scope

The anti-bribery provisions of the FCPA prohibit:
Issuers, domestic concerns, and any person from making use of interstate commerce corruptly, in furtherance of an offer or payment of anything of value to a foreign official, foreign political party, or candidate for political office, for the purpose of influencing any act of that foreign official in violation of the duty of that official, or to secure any improper advantage in order to obtain or retain business.
Persons subject to the FCPA
Issuers
Includes any U.S. or foreign corporation that has a class of securities registered, or that is required to file reports under the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934
Domestic concerns
Refers to any individual who is a citizen, national, or resident of the United States and any corporation and other business entity organized under the laws of the United States or having its principal place of business in the United States
Any person covers both enterprises and individuals

SCPD

QRT
Yes I read the article it's still none of the US government's business what someone does in a foreign country unless they are acting on behalf of the US government regardless of what the law may say. That's infringing of the sovereign rights of the foreign nation. That would be like the German government telling BMW that they have to pay their workers in South Carolina overtime for any work over 36 hours. If Motorola committed a crime in Slovenia or wherever it is up to the local authorities to prosecute. If I murder a US Citizen outside of the US the US can't prosecute so I don't see why US jurisdiction should extend beyond the borders for a corporation in the case of bribery when it doesn't for a citizen in the case of murder.

Last edited:

Powerade

Yes I read the article it's still none of the US government's business what someone does in a foreign country unless they are acting on behalf of the US government regardless of what the law may say. That's infringing of the sovereign rights of the foreign nation. That would be like the German government telling BMW that they have to pay their workers in South Carolina overtime for any work over 36 hours. If Motorola committed a crime in Slovenia or wherever it is up to the local authorities to prosecute. If I murder a US Citizen outside of the US the US can't prosecute so I don't see why US jurisdiction should extend beyond the borders for a corporation in the case of bribery when it doesn't for a citizen in the case of murder.

+1
Investigation of MH= like Investigating an eco system G/L!
Blue light special investigation ? No way... It will use up serious $tack$.

lep

The Foreign Corupt Practices Act has been the US Law for many years. What 'you think' is really not relevant since the Act has been upheld by the US Courts and has been used sucessfuly in other prosecutions. Motorla is a US corporation and is bound by this US Law even when dealing in other nations.

Your analysis of BMW is flawed because their US operations are by a US corporation formed for that purpose and thus subject to US Law, not German.

BTW, what does all this have to do with the WSJ article?

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
If you have MMI, why did you keep it past August 15? :)

Last edited:

Robinsmark

Bribery is Crime!

What business is it of US authorities?
It is a Criminal Act because it involves bribery of a European Government official. Since an American company is involved the US Justice Department HAS jurisdiction over a US company. It is a co conspirator to a crime. THAT'S WHY! It is also likely that the bribe money is never reported as income. So therefore there are also a scenario where conspiracy to commit tax fraud comes into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.