Wx Alert Mode on the BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclarkr6

I had the chance to try out the Wx Alert mode on my new 396xt today. I programmed a SAME group with the correct FIPS code for my county, which is 017029. My county then came under a severe thunderstorm watch and eventually, a warning, but all the scanner did that whole time was periodically stop and hold onto a NOAA weather station for a brief moment. I could not hear anything from the scanner when it was "sitting" on the NOAA stations. The scanner would stop for a few seconds and hold on to one of the NOAA frequencies (without a sound), and then it would go back to scanning the weather stations. My volume was up and my squelch was set to 4. I should add that this is my first experience with the SAME feature, so I'm not quite sure what I should be expecting. Does anyone know what to make of this?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
SAME alert only works in WX Standby. Sounds like you were in WX Priority mode (where the scanner checks the WX channel every 5 seconds for an alert tone).

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This is why I have a separate $40 SAME WX radio just devoted to WX standby. I can't waste my 396xt by having it parked on WX standby all the time :) I only use WX on my 396xt when I have no other options.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.