Wyoming. Any body active on HF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
Lately, I have been active working on WAS.

I have heard all the other states, but not even one HF peep from Wyoming .
NOT 40,80,20,60, 10 etc.. NOTHING!

In September, I drove from Devils Tower near Sundance Wyoming thru Newcastle, and Lusk to Cheyenne.
I tried several 2m repeaters on the way, but all I heard were just kerchunks, no one answered.
I also tried 52 simplex several times along the way, nothing, not even intermod!......

Are there any active hams in Wyoming?

Anyone willing to try a sked on 20, 40 or 80?

Last edited:

Otto

My first ever HF contact when I was /AG was on 40 meter SSB with a guy in Wyoming.

I have had quite a few more since then on SSB and Digital modes. They are there, just not al lot of them.

n5ims

Many hams are scared away from even trying a contact on HF due to the reports of the bands all being dead due to the total lack of sunspot activity. Funny thing is, when there's a contest (like the recent Winter Field Day), the bands were pretty responsive, even when using the modest antennas and power levels from that type of contest. Our club racked up contacts in 48 of the 50 states and several provinces in Canada (we were running barefoot with only wire antennas). After commenting on our results at the most recent club meeting, one member stated that HF now days is most likely several thousand hams listening, but nearly nobody transmitting so since nothing is being heard, the bands obviously must be dead.

There is quite a bit of activity on HF using the digital mode FT8 with many folks getting their WAS and DXCC certificates (or upgrades to existing certs). While FT8 is designed to pull very weak signals from high noise levels, this much activity must prove that you can still work the bands if you try, especially if you try various digital modes. Just for context, FT8 was against the rules for Winter Field Day so that wasn't the reason for our good results. We worked mostly CW with some SSB and some of the allowed digital modes, along with at least one satellite contact. What may have helped is that our club got a special event call sign that helped our station stand out and I saw a pretty nice QSL card for the event.

Last edited:

edweirdFL

Lately, I have been active working on WAS...

I've been working on WAS too. Using FT8 I worked KC7UBS on 20m on 1/27 of this year (confirmed in LoTW), and WC7S on 40m on 1/30/2019. I have no voice contacts in the state so far. You could try contacting them for setting up a QSO.

Let me know if you can get a voice sked worked out, I need one of those too.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I had two really nice conversations on 17 meters with a semi driver going through the northwest this past weekend. Yesterday, he was driving through Wyoming. There where a number of states I worked. I also heard Hawaii although I didn't work him. 17 meters is new to me, my equipment didn't have WARC bands 33 years ago.

I also made one 10 meter contact in Arkansas. 10 meters is open several times per week, at least to us in Florida. 20 meters was really good Saturday, worked a Melbourne station who was pointed at me long path. I operate exclusively from a parked mobile with a 17' maximum telescopic stainless steel whip and 100 watts out of a FT-891. On the lower bands I have full size 40, 80, and 160 dipoles installed at my work location. It's nice having an employer who is a ex Ham.
:)

When I'm home in Colorado or New Mexico I often talk to cowboys up in Wyoming on 60 metre's... 5371.5 Mhz in particular. I know this band may not be much help to someone in North Carolina- but there's Wyoming activity out here.

Personally, 60 is my favorite. In the Inner Mountains it is the "52" of the West. I leave a little Icom park'd on "371," with the squelch set-- and have conversations easily within a 5 to 800 mile radius- and a few to the East coast- all the year around --

Lauri :sneaky:

If you like to operate 17, then a vertical on 60 is a natural. I use a a Hustler 60 meter resonator on top of a 12 foot mast. On 60 this can be tuned (against a good elevated ground system) to 1:1 on 5.3 MHz--- on 17 it has an SWR of <1.5:1--- third harmonic stuff.... when 17 is open, this talk to the world.............smiles :)

Lauri :sneaky:

KE0GXN

Lately, I have been active working on WAS.

I have heard all the other states, but not even one HF peep from Wyoming .
NOT 40,80,20,60, 10 etc.. NOTHING!

In September, I drove from Devils Tower near Sundance Wyoming thru Newcastle, and Lusk to Cheyenne.
I tried several 2m repeaters on the way, but all I heard were just kerchunks, no one answered.
I also tried 52 simplex several times along the way, nothing, not even intermod!......

Anyone willing to try a sked on 20, 40 or 80?

Jump on the OMISS nets. Wyoming stations check in from time to time. Otherwise you if have no joy in the near future, their QSO party is on May 4th and 5th of this year.

Good luck!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
BTW, the North American QSO Party for RTTY is this weekend starting at 1800 UTC on Saturday. I have found contests and QSO parties to be a great way to find states on the air that you might not otherwise hear.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
Latest update on my quest to work Wyoming.

I still haven't worked anybody yet, but i saw k7ouo listed on net logger the other night.
Didn't hear him, but perhaps one day I will get lucky, and have a 59 contact with Wyoming,
And then I will get a QSL card, or it will be confirmed on QRZ.

edweirdFL

I worked a fellow on SSB last week who got my call sign after a couple tries and understood where I was located, but then said my signal was too poor for him to give me a signal report. A simple "you are 3-3" would have worked for my log but alas I still need WY on SSB. :rolleyes:

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I finally worked Wyoming yesterday.
K7TTN on 40m.
LOTW verified today.

It's such a bummer when you reach a goal!
OMG!?!?!?
What should I do next?

I am considering several new challenges!

Some possibilties:

1) 40m WAAC (Worked All Alaska Counties), (North Slope is going to be the challenge, NO active Hams live there)
2) working, and getting a QSL from V73,
3) contacting and getting a QSL from Lauri Coyote at her base in the Antarctic ; )
4) 5B WANK (worked all P5).
5) learning how to copy Cyrillic Morse at 20WPM.

Which one do you think I should go for?

Any other Ideas?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Well, lessee...Once I got WAS, I finished out WAS on phone, digital, and RTTY. I also have WAS on 20m and 40m. I'm 3 states short of WAS on 80m and several short on 15m and 10m, but my goal is 5-band WAS. This will be difficult given the current band conditions and without beam antennas, which I can't use at my current location. Of course, I know a guy who recently got 5BWAS and I think he has WAS on a few more bands, but he's using FT8 which I have been trying to avoid.

DXCC is the next attainable goal for me. I'm at 94 confirmed in LotW. So close...

Status
Not open for further replies.