• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XL-200P vs. XG-100P

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJFFDisp

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for some feedback from the community as to which radio to recommend. Our local sales rep is pushing the XL-200P hard and to me I feel that the price increase between the XL-200P and XG-100P (which is a dollar figure I do not know, because they are pushing the XL-200P) is not worth the increase because the only feature set I am after is the full spectrum (in one hand held unit).

Just some small background we are a small to mid sized combination department. We run first due in the City and the County and are the only department that has this first due configuration. The city operates on an 800 Mhz EDACS system and the County a Phase I UHF. We also have a significant need to operate on the adjoining county's UHF Phase I system as we share a common border with that county.

Currently, we operate with two different radios per riding position on the truck. So that makes for 12 portables per truck (throw in the one VHF portable and we have a bakers dozen). As of now, I need to replace one radio (phase I), however I have the district taking into consideration a pilot program to equip the chief with a full spectrum radio. I do not what to sink the program right of the start with high radio costs.

After reviewing the feature set, the only real feature I see of most use is the fact it is one radio, full spectrum band. The end user is not a radio enthusiast, not familiar with the uses of the advanced features and would confuse before benefit. But with that said I am a Motorola man and only have one Harris P7100, that I do not even have programming capabilities for.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with either of these two radios?

DisasterGuy

Sales is correctly steering you to the correct model for your application. As mentioned the 100p does not support EDACS but the 200p does. The 200p is more user friendly, smaller, lighter and cheaper than a Motorola APX-6000.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sbk1982

You don't want the XG-100P. It's a big radio, the ergonomics are horrible and the menu navigation is frustrating. Plus it won't do everything you're looking for. Buy the XL-200P now and it'll do more for you later.

Spend the money now, save later. As a radio tech on a Harris system and a firefighter I spent a lot of time trying to get the Unity Portable to do the things I needed as a tech and first responder. Before the XL-200 came out I preferred the APX-7000 for multiband capability over the Unity. The XL-200 is hands down the better radio over both of those.

Note - as long as you're not looking to use over-the-air-rekeying on multiple systems.

(Harris still hasn't done anything about being able to talk to multiple KMF's over multiple radio systems and that's a huge thorn in my interoperability efforts)

DisasterGuy

SBK, going a bit off topic bit since you brought keying up... are you by any chance using a Moto KVL with the 200p (or 25 and 75p)? I am going to need to start using a KVL4000 to load national Interop keys from NLECC but will still need to manage all my other keys via Harris Key Manager and KMF. So far haven't found anyone doing this.

sbk1982

DisasterGuy, I'm only using Harris Key Manager right now but I will also be looking at the possibility of having to use a Moto KVL because of encryption used outside our system. We're currently in the drive testing phase of a MastrV SR10.2 upgrade from a MastrIII SR7 System.

DisasterGuy

Look forward to hearing about it. We are starting site work going from EDACS to Mastr V SR10.3 that is due to be released in the next few months.

We have been able to (under testing) receive raw key data from a Motorola Astro 7.x system and implement on the XG-75p via Key Manager. With rhe NLECC keys however due to COMSEC concerns we need to use a KVL since they can't release the raw key.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
We have no problems using KVL3000+ and KVL4000 to load the small amount of Unity XG100s we've seen.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
No, they are only managed locally as we have very few of them for testing purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbk1982

DisasterGuy, I was told a few months ago you cannot touch a radio with both a KVL and Harris Key Loader. You have to use one or the other on each radio.

DisasterGuy

DisasterGuy, I was told a few months ago you cannot touch a radio with both a KVL and Harris Key Loader. You have to use one or the other on each radio.

That could make things interesting.

sbk1982

Load the Harris UKEK into the KVL is probably the way to go based on what you're dealing with.

DisasterGuy

Load the Harris UKEK into the KVL is probably the way to go based on what you're dealing with.

Thanks. Our neighbor just ordered a KVL 4000 and I have an order in for all the cables and as soon as the cables come in we a r e going to start experimenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.