XM/Sirius Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioGrub22

Is it possible to utilize a 3G/4G type antenna as a Sirius/XM antenna?

Like this:
TRA6927M3PBN-001 | Antenna- 698-2700 MHz 3G/4G-LTE - N Female - Black | Arcadian Antenna

These antennas cover like 600MHz range up to 2700 but specifically falls in the 2100-2700 range, and I know Sirius is within 2332.5-2345 MHz, so it seems at most basic the frequency is covered, but I know there has to be more to it than that.

I’ve previously run a TRAM brand NMO Sirius antenna as well as a currently running a Shakespeare marine XM antenna. I’m looking to relocate my antenna though and the Shakespeare is slightly too large to fit nicely in the new spot, and aesthetically and size wise the 3G/4G antennas look a lot better than the TRAM, which I don’t want to switch back to if I don’t have to.

Thank you!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The XM/Sirius antennas usually have a built in LNA that uses 5 volts DC sent up the coax from the receiver. The LNA boosts the weak signal from the antenna and send it to the radio.

The antenna you linked to won't support that, as it doesn't have the LNA built in. It's also not going to have the correct polarization to work best with the signal from the satellite.

RadioGrub22

The XM/Sirius antennas usually have a built in LNA that uses 5 volts DC sent up the coax from the receiver. The LNA boosts the weak signal from the antenna and send it to the radio.

The antenna you linked to won't support that, as it doesn't have the LNA built in. It's also not going to have the correct polarization to work best with the signal from the satellite.

Thanks for the quick response! Well that solves that!

Status
Not open for further replies.