• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR-4350 getting extremely hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsauve

Premium Subscriber
I recently replaced a GM-300 radio with an XPR-4350 and mounted it in the Astron power supply that was used with the GM-300. The radio is extremely hot to the touch. The radio isn't being used for transmit, rather it is hooked up to our voice logger and is just used for receive.

Is it normal for the radio to get extremely hot in this situation?

zsauve

Premium Subscriber
If I understand your post, the radio is actually mounted to the power supply (ie - base station configuration). Can you tell if the heat is coming from the power supply itself or the radio only?

Sorry if I wasnt clear, yes the radio is being used as a base station configuration. The heat is definitely coming from the radio. I took the metal hood off the base station that mounts on top of the power supply and radio and it seems to be helping with heat dissipation.

N4KVE

Sorry if I wasnt clear, yes the radio is being used as a base station configuration. The heat is definitely coming from the radio. I took the metal hood off the base station that mounts on top of the power supply and radio and it seems to be helping with heat dissipation.
Shouldn’t happen. My 4550 is in the same power supply with the shroud, & has been on 24/7 since 2012. Not even slightly warm. Checked the voltage of the supply? 13.8 volts?

XTS3000

I’ve seen this issue many times on Motorola mobiles that come in for repair. In all cases where the radio gets hot just receiving, the final output PA MOSFET was bad.

When a PA goes bad, it can either blow like a fuse, or short out. It sounds like the PA in your radio has shorted out, causing it to generate excess heat.

First, check the DC voltage from the power supply. I’ve seen many power supplies go bad and output 24-28 volts when it’s regulation circuit goes bad.

If the power supply is outputting proper 12-14V, then measure the current draw going to the radio. When receiving only, it’s current draw should be 0.300-0.540 amps. Anything higher than that, suspect the PA is blown. Check the RF power output on a watt meter/service monitor. I’d bet it’s RF output is rather low.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
What he said.

Sounds like a bad PA.

I have several 4350/4550s and 24/7 they stay on with no TX duty cycle they are barely warm to the touch. Put an IR thermometer on mine on my desk and it's hottest part wasn't the PA heat sink but behind the display, around 85f.

They do get quite hot on TX full power but that's any dash mount compact mobile. RX shouldn't be turning your desktop station into an oven.

zsauve

Premium Subscriber
I’ve seen this issue many times on Motorola mobiles that come in for repair. In all cases where the radio gets hot just receiving, the final output PA MOSFET was bad.

When a PA goes bad, it can either blow like a fuse, or short out. It sounds like the PA in your radio has shorted out, causing it to generate excess heat.

First, check the DC voltage from the power supply. I’ve seen many power supplies go bad and output 24-28 volts when it’s regulation circuit goes bad.

If the power supply is outputting proper 12-14V, then measure the current draw going to the radio. When receiving only, it’s current draw should be 0.300-0.540 amps. Anything higher than that, suspect the PA is blown. Check the RF power output on a watt meter/service monitor. I’d bet it’s RF output is rather low.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my question. The power supply was actually bad. Once I swapped out the power supply, the radio cooled down substantially and everything is working as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.