• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR XPR 8400 CWID Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiTaLD

I manage an IP Site Connect system consisting of three (3) XPR 8400 repeaters on UHF and have recently noticed that they are failing to send CWID at the programmed interval. Model number is M27TRR9JA7BN running firmware version R02.09.00.03, codeplug version 19.00.03, and bootloader version R02.03.01.

This seems to have started since the last firmware update which I did in September. Prior to that firmware update, I had the CWID timer parameters set up as follows:

TX Interval (min) 15
Mix Mode Timer (min) 255

With that configuration running the previous version of the firmware (whatever the prior release was prior to R02.09.00.03) the repeaters would send ID every 15 minutes, usually at the end of an IP Site Connect beacon signal. Recently I was listening to my master repeater's output frequency in analog mode just to see how the co-channel interference situation was, and I noticed it was not identifying at all with the above configuration.

Thinking the failure to identify was possibly caused by the mix mode timer interval being set to 255 and thus disabled (which shouldn't matter for exclusively digital operation anyway) I changed the CWID timer parameters to the following:

TX Interval (min) 12
Mix Mode Timer (min) 14

GeneralSettings.jpg

I changed nothing else in the codeplug. After programming these parameters into each of the three repeaters, all of them restarted and began beaconing for 4320 ms every 60 seconds just like they always have. Then, when the CWID TX interval timer expired, they sent the CWID like they should have. But they only did it once and haven't done it since, despite several intermittent voice calls and beaconing every 60 seconds.

IPSCBeacon.jpg

I would really like to rectify this situation ASAP. The two peer repeaters provide in-building coverage, but the master is at about 270 feet AGL and has a decent coverage footprint. Is this a problem with my programming or possibly a glitch in the R02.09.00.03 firmware?

Thank you for your responses!

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Whatever it is, I am having the same issue. I think it actually might be by design.

I am not running IP Site Connect, just a single 8400, DMR only, and it only IDs after someone keys the repeater, or if the repeater is consistently busy, then every 15 minutes. If nobody uses the repeater, it will sit forever without IDing until somebody does.

Firmware: R02.40.01
Codeplug: 14.00.07
Bootloader: R02.03.01

DiGiTaLD

Yours sounds like its doing what its supposed to do, which would make sense for a single site standalone repeater.

Mine aren't even sending ID after there is voice traffic on the repeater. And by virtue of sending the IP Site Connect beacon every minute, the repeater never goes to sleep and is always active. It used to ID every 15 minutes without fail, now it doesn't ID at all.

DiGiTaLD

Somehow I missed the fact that firmware R02.09.00.13 is out on MOL. I'm going to try an upgrade to that version and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: I'm betting it will fix it. In the release notes it says failing to send CWID was a problem on the SLR 8000. My guess is it probably affected the XPR 8400 as well.

Last edited:

deanq

Just curious; Why did you update in the first place? Were you having other issues? If my system is working correctly, I never update. Thanks

DiGiTaLD

I figure if I pay for the subscription, I might as well get my money's worth and keep things current. I'm just glad they fixed the problem in the new release.

I do have 3 repeaters that still have the bum firmware loaded, but they are powered off backups.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Motorola no longer tests their crap
They're more interested in selling software upgrades every release so if you want to keep everything updated subscription when a bug is fixed- not if but when. Gen1 portable 1.12.17 had a obnoxious audio squeal bug on occasion, of course the solution was Gen2. Now everything comes with wifi so the big selling point is frequent upgrading and updating

Status
Not open for further replies.