• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR6580 IS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmazza7371

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I saw a couple of threads on this radio but all are now closed. I am playing with one and I know about the special battery and updated cable, PMKN4012B cable. Rev.B .

Even with the right cable, CPS ver 16 cannot seem to read this radio. The computer loads the radio as Motorola Radio # 23 but a second later it reports a driver error. As a result, the CPS does not see the radio at all. The same computer/cable rads a normal 6580 no problem.Stumped.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
It’s my understanding that the 6580IS was a Canadian exclusive? Maybe because it’s a different region CPS, it’s not recognizing?

jmazza7371

Premium Subscriber
Not sure about that. Normally. the CPS will report a region mismatch. It's not saying that because it can't see the radio.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Take a small screwdriver, dental pick, or razor edge and LIGHTLY scratch the gold contacts on the side of the radio. There may be a slight oxide or oil buildup on the contacts. Also, disconnect computer from any wifi or ethernet connections in order to prevent network co flicks. TT

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Under device manager, is the cable com port showing? Sometimes they can be extremely sporadic.

N4KVE

It’s my understanding that the 6580IS was a Canadian exclusive? Maybe because it’s a different region CPS, it’s not recognizing?
Canada is part of the same region as the US for CPS. I’ve owned 3 of these blue radios, & had no programming them any differently as any other XPR radio. And I was using the “A” cable.

jmazza7371

Premium Subscriber
Problem solved by using another computer. Very strange but seen this issue before. I butchered a regular 6550 battery to make contact with the radio so I could power it up. Now the challenge is to find a non-IS battery that would fit and work with this radio. Tall, if not impossible task.

N1GTL

Database Admin
There is an EID for full Canadian frequency range. Obviously you got it working but in case someone runs into an issue the part number is HKLN4463A.

jmazza7371

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the info. Also, the model AAH55UCH9LB3AN is only 1W and was replaced by the AAH55UCH9LB3BN which is a full 2W. Believe it or not, Motorola swapped all the AN radios free of charge some 10 years ago, but some got away. The cost of the battery and the power limitation put a damper on it's value.

N4KVE

I was given a few of these blue radios, w/o batteries. But due to the correct battery costing well over $100, I sold them. The 1 watt limit also was a bummer. I was able to find a normal 6580, & it worked just fine. I also got the Canadian EID for full coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.